Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best paper for sewing through? What rips off easiest? >

Best paper for sewing through? What rips off easiest?

Best paper for sewing through? What rips off easiest?

Old 01-28-2010, 09:23 AM

I use freezer paper.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by barnbum
I'm using tracing paper. sandpat has mentioned Vellum. The tracing paper is working okay--but it's stronger than it needs to be and can loosen stitches, so I'd like something even thinner and easier to tear. Suggestions?
Kelly (Klue) recommended Simply Amazing Translucent Foundation Paper/www.ranaemerrillquilts.com which I purchased and I love it! No problem going through the printer like Carol Doaks.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

For PP I can use about anything...
For quilting, the stitches are bigger and I would want something a little thinner. Too thin and it tears too easily, and you will be picking out a lot of little pieces.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:09 AM

The problem with newspaper is the ink. It will come off on the fabric. Someone suggested using old phone book pages but I haven't tried it yet. I have just discovered an old box of typing paper (no copy paper, but the old thin crinkly typing paper) and it went through my printer just fine. It tears wonderfully easily, now just have to find a source!! Be sure you are using really really small stitches, too. I go down to 18 on my Janome. The tight stitches help it not tear out so easily.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I don't like tracing patterns by hand on to paper so the paper has to go in the printer for me. Any paper that that you can sew through and you like is fine for paper piecing. It's all a matter of choice and budget. Foundation piecing is not paper piecing, two different things. I use any paper for foundation piecing, old phone books to gift tissue paper to used dryer sheets.
Can you please tell me the difference between foundation and paper piecing - I thought they were the same thing. Thank you.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:06 PM

Foundation can be done on fabric or on paper. The fabric method means leaving the foundation intact. Usually the strips are sewn onto the fabric then squared up. When done on paper, it is a precise sewing on the lines and the paper is removed. This method allows for some extremely intricate detailing. English paper piecing is an altogether different method. Here is a nice tute for EPP: http://www.craftstylish.com/item/833...iecing-project

Here is the back of my fabric foundation for these Madras Plaid blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]61700[/ATTACH]

I did these Madras Plaid strips on fabric foundation (these blocks are not sewn together yet)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]63020[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-61695.jpe   attachment-63015.jpe  
Old 01-28-2010, 02:14 PM

Corky--that's going to be so beautiful!
Old 01-28-2010, 02:22 PM

Thanks! I love the bright colors...hope they don't fade with washing. The funny thing about this quilt is that all the strips are from the trash! Maybe I should explain.....I was at a retreat and 7 sisters from all over the country attend this retreat together, they meet there and sew and have a great time. Anyway, they didn't want to take back the leftover strips cut off their fabrics, too much in their luggage so they were throwing them away. I, of course, being the fabricholic that I am, was aghast and asked if I could have their trash. They said 'sure, take it' so I did. Partway through I realized I needed one color to tie them together so my friend gave me this luscious purple. Then I realized that I would have to add some of my own plaids to make it a decent size so I added a few more strips. When I'm finished it will probably be about 10% mine and 90% free. Wowzer! Happy dance.

BTW - I got the pattern idea from the Heart Strings Quilt Project (check out all their pics!) http://heartstringsquiltproject.com/ So, even the pattern was free!
Old 01-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

Those fabric just glow! Beautiful!
Old 01-28-2010, 04:42 PM

Oh yes--those are the exact directions I used when I made a few of those squares. I used muslin on the back.