Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best place(s) to purchase good quality cotton quilting thread? >

Best place(s) to purchase good quality cotton quilting thread?

Best place(s) to purchase good quality cotton quilting thread?

Old 04-25-2014, 02:50 AM

Connecting threads cotton thread works, but it is too thick for me. I use Aurifil or made in the USA Cairo Cotton from the same folks who make the Glide thread, fil-tec. You can color cards real cheap from them. Highly recommend.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Keep Them In Stitches View Post
I am very interested in the answers to this question.

i have never ordered thread from Connecting Threads (fabric and kits are terrific) and was wondering if their essence/essentials cotton thread was good. I purchase Arial (sp) from my LQS and like it; however, always looking for good and less expensive. Any thoughts or suggestions? All will be appreciated.
I find Connecting Threads to be very linty and breaks in my machine. I like any thread that has a cotton polyester blend.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:40 AM

I only use threads from Superior Threads. Their website has an amazing amount of user information and help on it, and they have real sample cards for all threads they sell. It is just a bit more expensive, but the performance is so much better than any other brand, it's worth it to me. While I've used other brands and they turn out ok, this brand seems to be the best for me. I've used it my home machines as well as my mid-arm, also in my bobbins, with very few issues. Many cone/spool sizes, and hundreds of colors, fibers, sizes. They also run sales that help bring the price down a bit. They have a sample pack you can get to experiment with, and single spools are sold in a lot of quilt shops. Might be a good place to start.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:18 AM

I bought a cotton thread set from Thread Art a few years ago. I have been pleased with it and other than needing a new spool of white, I haven't needed to buy any thread for a long time now.
http://www.threadart.com/p-100-cotto...ols-1000m.aspx
Old 04-25-2014, 08:39 AM

My gosh, more information. I am so glad I posted my question. All is extremely helpful. Many thanks to all of you.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:14 AM

Thank you for all of the info.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:48 PM

I'm a big Aurifil thread fan for piecing. For quilting I usually use something a little thicker. I like the Aurifil because it is so fine and I get accurate seams when I press. Fabric.com has my business for Aurifil thread. They consistently have the best price and their $35 for free shipping is lower than most. Great fast service as well. I am planning on using King Tut which the local quilt shop sells to give that a try for quilting.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:20 PM

I like Essentials threads from Connecting Threads. I have it in a bunch of colors and it is wonderful for quilting and piecing traditional cottons. I have found that Aurifil does better on batiks for piecing. For quilting I also like King Tut and Superior. There is a wholesale-to-retail online store called J. Hittle that has fantastic prices on threads and things like rotary cutter blades. Our quilt group places an order together a couple of times a year to save on shipping and split up large orders. We did one a month ago and all ordered rotary cutter blades, each of us getting 10 blades for about $1.50 each. A real bargain!!
http://www.jhittlesewing.com/visitor/index_jhs.html
Old 04-25-2014, 06:47 PM

Smile

... and Thank You for all the websites and info regarding them. I truly appreciate it.

Last edited by Keep Them In Stitches; 04-25-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by patper View Post
I only use threads from Superior Threads. Their website has an amazing amount of user information and help on it, and they have real sample cards for all threads they sell. It is just a bit more expensive, but the performance is so much better than any other brand, it's worth it to me. While I've used other brands and they turn out ok, this brand seems to be the best for me. I've used it my home machines as well as my mid-arm, also in my bobbins, with very few issues. Many cone/spool sizes, and hundreds of colors, fibers, sizes. They also run sales that help bring the price down a bit. They have a sample pack you can get to experiment with, and single spools are sold in a lot of quilt shops. Might be a good place to start.
I agree....king tut is the best cotton thread I have ever used. Among other things I use it to make quilted potholders as it won't melt when exposed to heat. It is also a great piecing and quilting. A big thumbs up!