Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best place(s) to purchase good quality cotton quilting thread? >

Best place(s) to purchase good quality cotton quilting thread?

Best place(s) to purchase good quality cotton quilting thread?

Old 04-24-2014, 12:29 PM

I use arufil for piecing and I buy it from red rock thread. I use connecting threads for machine quilting, yes it does make lint but I just clean at every bobbin change.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

I've bought Aurifil at this site also: http://www.sewezdesigns.com/Aurifil1.html .

There are quite a few places online that sell the Aurifil color chart (made with threads). I have one, but can't remember which one I ordered from. If you Google "Aurifil thread chart" you should be able to find some places that have it in stock.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:46 PM

Www.discountembroidery.com sells Aurifil and other cotton thread with free shipping and for a price you can get a color card
Old 04-24-2014, 01:38 PM

I have used connecting threads for piecing, for me it is no more linty than any other cotton thread as all make lint as far as I am concerned including aurifil which i purchased recently and didn't care for, gutterman is still my favorite piecing thread at this point. For piecing CT is not bad, haven't tried FMQ with it yet. If I do I will update my thread review. I do like king tut by superior for FMQ as it is the one out of most major brands that doesn't break and produces the least lint out of everything I have tried which is many top brands which leads me to believe that I would enjoy piecing with master piece or bottomline by superior if ever I purchase some, will probably like it more than gutterman. I highly recommend the superior line as they are indeed superior. The way I learned is by buying quite a few cotton threads to practice FMQ with and to me king tut and gutterman stood out the best with king tut being in the lead by far. I do still want to try floriani and mettler for FMQ as those are the ones I haven't tried. But I encourage you to do your own tests because I have learned in the past 10 years If I always did what most recommended it wouldn't have been for me.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:59 PM

I love, love, love Aurifil. It's thin but strong, so I get get more on a bobbin and need to change it less often. It also isn't linty.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:55 PM

I use Aurifil, buy it at Fabric. com. and get free shipping.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:00 PM

I pretty much use only Connecting Threads threads, for everything, unless they don't have the colour I want. As I clean the bobbin area almost every bobbin change, it doesn't matter that it's a little linty.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:24 PM

Heartbeatquilting.com sells 3000 yd spools of Signature 100% cotton quilting thread for $7.25. Their shipping costs are inaccurate so call them for shipping prices if you order. Signature Thread is really nice, even works great on high speed machines.

Glide thread is absolutely awesome for quilting. It is polyester, but it's no stronger than cotton quilting thread. Some of the colors like Cleopatra look like gold metallic, but they are much easier to quilt with. The 1000 yard spools run around $2.30, but you have to meet a $35 minimum, $75? for free shipping.

Connecting Threads sometimes has deals on things like shipping in some of the magazines. Look for those in their ads. I haven't tried their thread, but will soon.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:29 PM

Thank you all for sharing your experience with me and others who read or shall read this post. I have used Gutterman and Aurifil threads and have liked them both. The Aurifil can be purchased at my LQS and I think I got the Gutterman at Joann's on sale (of course lol). The Aurifil thread color chart is a great idea. Congratulations Onebyone for those great wins. Again, a big THANK YOU to all of you. Have fun quilting.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:34 AM
Power Poster

I've been using threads from Connecting Threads for years & been happy- I also purchase threads from Superior Threads and my Aurifil from Fabric.com *they seem to have the best price I've found for Aurifil and with free shipping at $35 I can always reach that point.