Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Press Question >

Best Press Question

Best Press Question

Old 05-19-2015, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante View Post
Thanks for asking about the Best Press. Has anyone tried the vodka recipe (No, not to drink. :-) ) To use as best press. Seems like it would attract insects because it is plant based. Just wondering if anyone has experience?
What is this? Never heard of the vodka recipie, but Best Press is expensive.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:48 PM

The vodka recipes are not starchy unless you actually add starch. In vodka making, the starch is the food that the yeast digests as it is fermenting, and the finished product does not contain any starch.

Here are some useful recipes; #1 is a homemade starch recipe, and #3 is a scented linen water recipe (made with vodka).

http://www.marklipinski.com/Tulip%20Tips/TTcontent.html
Old 05-20-2015, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante View Post
Thanks for asking about the Best Press. Has anyone tried the vodka recipe (No, not to drink. :-) ) To use as best press. Seems like it would attract insects because it is plant based. Just wondering if anyone has experience?

I make the vodka solution and love it. I put a drop of essence of lavender in it. Smells great when heat of the iron gets to it. Vodka may be plant based but since it is distilled, I would think bug dangers would be minimal to none.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:43 AM

I bought a gallon jug and on the jug it states that Best Press is safe for storage does not attract bugs, this is one of the reasons I use it. I think it says this on the smaller the bottle too. I hope this helps.<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 05-20-2015, 09:43 AM

Smile Best Press is NOT a starch

Best Press is not starch - it is sizing so will not attract bugs. Starch is a food source for bugs so I very rarely use it since I live in Florida and we have lots of bugs!! But I use Magic Sizing in the green can. It's less expensive and Best Press makes me wheeze. So don't worry about storing fabric after using Best Press. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by muskratwine View Post
Best Press is not starch
See for yourself.

http://maryellenproducts.com/pdf/MSD...%20Press-L.pdf
Old 05-20-2015, 04:53 PM

Use the vodka/water all the time. It's great & cheap!
Old 05-20-2015, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Just wondering where this information comes from. Best Press advertises itself as a "starch alternative", which doesn't necessarily mean it's not starch. The MSDS sheets state that it's in the "starch family".
I was meaning to state what Best Press says on the label, but mistakenly used 'substitute' instead of 'alternative'. If they are a starch, I don't quite understand why they call themselves a starch alternative, as that implies (at least to me) that they are something other than, but serving the same purpose. But I'm happy either way. I love Best Press!
Old 05-20-2015, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I was meaning to state what Best Press says on the label, but mistakenly used 'substitute' instead of 'alternative'. If they are a starch, I don't quite understand why they call themselves a starch alternative, as that implies (at least to me) that they are something other than, but serving the same purpose. But I'm happy either way. I love Best Press!
Oh, I see.

Personally, I think they call themselves a "starch alternative" as a marketing ploy. Technically, Best Press is an alternative from the traditional Niagra and Sta-Flo products, but using such terminology sucks in buyers who think they're actually avoiding starch.

Having said that, I also like Best Press - well, one of the scents, that is. But my teen sons tell me they like the smell of the non-aerosol Niagra better, and I like its price, not to mention it's available in my local grocery store, unlike the Best Press.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:14 AM

There seem to be four main points where Best Press differs from products that call themselves starch (based on what I've read here -- I haven't actually used starch myself): You don't have to wait for it to soak in, it doesn't flake, it doesn't attract bugs, and it doesn't stiffen fabric as much as starch does. Maybe it's these performance differences that lead them to use 'alternative'.