• best quilt brand

Old 12-02-2013, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by barny
    Could it be that someone is teasing us?
    Sounds like a prank to me..........
    Someone is truly pulling our chain here
    Old 12-02-2013, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by sewingchild2
    @RugosaB - I can not find any link to quilting instruction regarding PCC.

Regarding the other lady, here is her link:
    http://anne-hawaiianquilt.com/tabid/419/Default.aspx

Seems quite touristy to me though...
    It was definitely NOT touristy. It was more of a 'workroom' than a shop, certainly off the main touristy street. I remember we had to go to the second floor of the group of shops. She had a gal there working at the table set up.

As for the PCC, I just got the info off the back of the kit. I remember they had a shop there, but it will probably take some work to investigate it. At the very least, they could probably direct you to other sources of HA quilting info
    Old 12-02-2013, 10:12 PM

If you want something to insulate your body from the cold floor, I recommend the double-size $19 air mattress from Walmart. It's what we use when camping. It will keep you warm and you will save enough money to buy supplies to get you started on your quilting journey.
    Old 12-02-2013, 10:45 PM

This thread is too funny! WE are a loving, but suspicious group, aren't we?
    Old 12-04-2013, 04:12 AM

Can someone verify the prices and tools I posted in my last post? I would like to ensure that I am correct regarding that.

Also, I checked the tutorials on the Missouri Star company site but they all use a sewing machine so that is out of the question. The classes on Craftsy are paid so they are a no go too. For Youtube, there are a ton of videos, can you just recommend one or two that you know very well guide a total beginner to making their first quilt please?

@justflyingin - Unusually suspicious especially considering this is a quilting forum... (I hope there is not a quality vs quantity issue here...)

Last edited by sewingchild2; 12-04-2013 at 04:24 AM.
    Old 12-04-2013, 05:03 AM

Jenny Doan from Missouri Star Quilting Co. has a wonderful series of tutorials on youtube.

Honestly, quilting is an expensive hobby. It is much cheaper to just go buy a quilt at a big box store. I love to quilt and sew garments, but if money were really tight, would probably not sew at all. Fabric-- even "cheap" fabric-- has gotten expensive.

You can find free patterns. Do a google search for free beginner quilt patterns.

Not sure what you mean by "verify" prices. Supplies cost what they cost. Amazon has good deals, but may or may not be cheaper than a big box crafting store with a coupon (Joann's, etc.). You will need to look at what is available to you locally before deciding whether or not to buy online.
    Old 12-04-2013, 09:22 AM

@jkaczor19 - By 'verify' I was referring to confirming if I was in the right price range and more importantly if I have missed any tools that I will absolutely need. I would like to buy everything at one time and see how it goes.

Regarding Missouri Star, there really isn't an organization to the tutorials there therefore I do not see how to utilize them. (ie 'how to sew' then progress to 'how to layer' then progress to etc. etc....)

I am hoping this attempt at learning quilting is not going to be costly. I am a student and having zero disposable income. I just want to learn from this for later down the road perhaps when I have a family.
    Old 12-04-2013, 11:03 AM

Perhaps you will find this helpful: http://www.quiltingboard.com/resources/article-60.html
    Old 12-04-2013, 01:23 PM

If you have access to a library, check out a beginner quilting book. If you need fabric, try thrift stores - cut up mens shirts make some fantastic projects and cost very little.
    Old 12-04-2013, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by sewingchild2
    I am hoping this attempt at learning quilting is not going to be costly. I am a student and having zero disposable income. I just want to learn from this for later down the road perhaps when I have a family.
    You could try to get yourself adopted by a group of sweet, adorable "little old ladies" who would love to teach you. Check with your local churches to see if there are any charity quilting groups you can join. This way you can learn from other quilters in person, which is easier than reading books or watching videos. You will be able to ask as many questions as you want, and can practice on charity projects and make lots of new friends on the way. When you feel like you have the basic idea, you can start working on your own projects. I see this as a win-win situation.

p.s. My "little old ladies" comment was in NO WAY intended to insult quilters. My vision was of the grandmotherly types who would be delighted to be asked to teach, and have the time and patience for such activities. I know there are lots of young quilters, myself at age 44 included, but at this stage of my life with very active teenagers, I simply don't have the time.

Last edited by Peckish; 12-04-2013 at 10:31 PM.