Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • best quilt brand >
  • best quilt brand

• best quilt brand

Old 12-01-2013, 07:58 AM

Since you are in Honolulu, I immediately thought of the 'Hawaiian' style of quilting. If you are truly interested in trying your hand at making one yourself, I suggest taking a quilting class first. The first project will be small, a potholder or even a small wall hanging, and you will get the feel of the process, and know if you want to go further with your new found skill.

I have been to Ha, even have a couple of kits for small items there. Here is the info on the kits, though I admittedly do not know what island they are even on:

Polynesian Cultural Center
    anne-hawaiinquilt.com - love this place and I bet you would get a lot of help from her. I really think this is in Honolulu, but I could be wrong
    Old 12-01-2013, 08:15 AM
    Power Poster

Other than buying from a quilter I would not have any idea where you could get a nice quilt.
    Old 12-01-2013, 08:27 AM

Took too long to edit, so want to add that it looks like that link is dead, but I found this :

Anne's Hawaiian Quilt
    307 Lewers Street # 804
    Honolulu, HI 96815-2367

and

http://shhdesigns.blogspot.com/2011/...-quilting.html
    There's a photo of the gal here, and I do remember her

Hope this gives you enough info to do some more of your own exploring of this craft if you want. Best of luck!
    Old 12-01-2013, 10:12 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Having posted an "I'm not sure about this one" response, I'm glad you chose to post here again. Yes, we've had a few weird ones here....not surprising when we are a community of tens of thousands of readers. But for those who are serious we are, by far, the most friendly, most supportive board on the internet! If you choose to find a home here, you will be warmly welcomed.

Jan in VA

Originally Posted by sewingchild2
    I must say I am quite surprised that you take this question as an attempt to tease you. Must happen pretty often for this type of reaction to surface. I do not mean to tease at all, please do not think that. I can't say that I am trying to seriously get into quilting though. I just like to do my homework before spending $100 on a quilt. I thought that a quilt forum would be the perfect place to direct this sort of question. Anyway, no teasing intended and if feasible I will try my hand at a quilt.

@Holice - Great suggestion! I never thought about a quilted bedspread. I am not sure if the thrift stores would have them here but I will call around tomorrow. In the worst case scenario, I'll just buy one from a retail store. I presume they will be cheaper than a what I was intending on purchasing initially.

@Peckish - I am a complete beginner with no background/experience in sewing/quilting at all. Therefore, I have absolutely no tools as well besides a pair of scissors I use for school. I can spend probably 30 minutes a day on sewing & quilting. With that said, any possible time estimate?

The activity on this forum seems to be a very promising atmosphere for a beginner. With me posting my first thread and getting like nine replies in the first 10 minutes, it seems like if I try my hand at this, I will have tons of support here.

Last edited by Jan in VA; 12-01-2013 at 10:14 AM.
    Old 12-01-2013, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by sewingchild2
    @Peckish - I am a complete beginner with no background/experience in sewing/quilting at all. Therefore, I have absolutely no tools as well besides a pair of scissors I use for school. I can spend probably 30 minutes a day on sewing & quilting. With that said, any possible time estimate?
    Hmmm. If you will be cutting your fabric with scissors, sewing by hand, quilting it yourself by hand, and it's a king-sized quilt, at 30 minutes a day I would say a MINIMUM of one year. And that is a very conservative estimate. Realistically it's probably more like 2 or 3 years. As a beginner you will probably make mistakes and will need time to un-sew and fix, and there will be times you won't be able to stand the sight of it and you'll shove it in a closet for a few weeks.

If you want this to go faster, take your $99 and buy a basic straight-stitch only machine - check your local thrift stores, sometimes you'll find a gem hiding there. Get a rotary cutter - those scissors you've been using for paper will be too dull to cut fabric anyway. And choose a simple pattern.

There is always someone here to help you if you have questions or run into problems. Good luck!
    Old 12-01-2013, 02:17 PM

I'm with Peggi. You will always be able to use a decent sewing machine. Doesn't need to be fancy. Work at it a little at a time, for a long time, and you can come up with something nice.
    Old 12-01-2013, 02:25 PM
    Power Poster

imho, I have not seen a quality brand made quilt, ever. I agree that purchasing a quilt from a "Quilt maker" is the way to go, if you can. Understanding that there are many reasons that go into such a decision, only you can choose what works. My concern mostly would be the quality of the fabric and how long it would hold up being used as a bed mat.

Good luck in your search.
    peace
    Old 12-01-2013, 02:31 PM
    Power Poster

I like the idea of a wallhanging size. Maybe a 14 x 14 pillow you can display. got to pictures and see all the ideas there. then when the headache agoes away, go to tutorials and see if you can follow a simple one. that will give you an idea. also go to YOU TUBE. there you can see actual quilts being made, the tools used and the finished project.
    welcome, this board is fantastic. you can start on something as small as a pincushion or potholder. oh, and there's no rules in quilting, it's something we all do for enjoyment
    Old 12-01-2013, 02:34 PM

Well, if I hurt your feelings, I apologize. Yes, we have had some odd requests on here that turned out to be not quilters. Please forgive me. I would go with the air mattresses that you blow air into. They're not bad to sleep on. We've had company that we gave our beds to and we slept on the air mattress. And we slept. You can store them very easily too, when not in use. 35 or 40 dollars. Not bad.
    Old 12-01-2013, 03:04 PM

SewingChild2, I just googled Martha Stewart bed mats in Hawaii and they are showing bought pads that you paint designs on. I don't know the price, but if you need them to sleep ON, they seem to be what some residents use. It might be what you could use. They look to be heavy duty foam, very pretty.

Last edited by barny; 12-01-2013 at 03:07 PM.