Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • best quilt brand >
  • best quilt brand

• best quilt brand

Old 11-30-2013, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by barny
    Could it be that someone is teasing us?
    That's what I was wondering? Is this person for real? Don't mean to offend, just very surprised!!!
    Old 11-30-2013, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by sewingchild2
    About how long would it take me to make a king-sized quilt by myself everything handmade considering that I am a beginner?
    How could any one of us answer that? We do not know your skill level, what kind of tools you would be using (scissors vs a rotary cutter vs a mechanized cutting system such as an accuquilt), and most importantly, how much time YOU have to spend on sewing and quilting each day. And I agree with Neesie - I would not start with a king size quilt.
    Old 11-30-2013, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by barny
    Could it be that someone is teasing us?
    I was thinking the same thing!
    Old 11-30-2013, 09:02 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Anyone signing on here would surely have had to read enough here to realize we are sewers/quilters ourselves with handmade items our specialty and passion. Every once in a while we get someone, usually of a nationality other than American, European, or Australian, who attempts to sell something or promote something, or get personal information here. They don't last long. We can wait this out and see if the admins make a move or the new member convinces us they are serious in their interest. I'm curious, too.

Jan in VA
    Old 11-30-2013, 09:13 PM

Aloha all,

I was curious what the best quilt brand is. There is a sale going on at a store I frequent but I know nothing about quilts so I don't know if is a good deal or not.

The sale is 25% off Martha Stewart quilts. The price for the full-sized queen is $99.99. (25% off though) I did some searching on Google and the only other place I saw that had them on sale is Macy's. There is another brand that they sell too named Dextar or something like that. (i don't remember the exact name...)

I was just wondering if this a good sale and more importantly even if it is a good buy are Martha Stewart quilts worth it? (excellent quality) From what I've seen on google, it seems that Hungarian goose down quilts are the best but not sure if I need that really. I sleep on the floor and that's what I'm using it for, to sleep on top of it. (so no white color quilts) Thank you!
    Am I correct in assuming you are wanting to buy a finished quilt? Any quilt for $100 is going to be an imported and not to substantial quilt, adn I'm afraid the piecing would not hold together if you're sleeping on it.
    Old 11-30-2013, 09:51 PM
    Banned

Don't overlook this 99.00 quilt is to be put on the floor to sleep on. Rather expensive floor pad. Better go to thrift store and get a quilted bedspread for $10.00 or less.
    Old 11-30-2013, 11:32 PM

I must say I am quite surprised that you take this question as an attempt to tease you. Must happen pretty often for this type of reaction to surface. I do not mean to tease at all, please do not think that. I can't say that I am trying to seriously get into quilting though. I just like to do my homework before spending $100 on a quilt. I thought that a quilt forum would be the perfect place to direct this sort of question. Anyway, no teasing intended and if feasible I will try my hand at a quilt.

@Holice - Great suggestion! I never thought about a quilted bedspread. I am not sure if the thrift stores would have them here but I will call around tomorrow. In the worst case scenario, I'll just buy one from a retail store. I presume they will be cheaper than a what I was intending on purchasing initially.

@Peckish - I am a complete beginner with no background/experience in sewing/quilting at all. Therefore, I have absolutely no tools as well besides a pair of scissors I use for school. I can spend probably 30 minutes a day on sewing & quilting. With that said, any possible time estimate?

The activity on this forum seems to be a very promising atmosphere for a beginner. With me posting my first thread and getting like nine replies in the first 10 minutes, it seems like if I try my hand at this, I will have tons of support here.
    Old 12-01-2013, 05:32 AM

Our daughter gave us beds in a bag for our twin beds and the first time I washed the quilts I had to mend seams. DON'T buy imported quilts. They are JUNIK!
    Old 12-01-2013, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    ​If you are going to lay on it rather than under it, I think a sleeping bag might be a better choice. Quilts generally are fairly flat with minimum padding.
    And washing brings disaster to them. The batting wads up and you're left with a lumpy mess.
    Old 12-01-2013, 07:37 AM
    Power Poster

I must say I am quite surprised that you take this question as an attempt to tease you. Must happen pretty often for this type of reaction to surface. I do not mean to tease at all, please do not think that. I can't say that I am trying to seriously get into quilting though. I just like to do my homework before spending $100 on a quilt. I thought that a quilt forum would be the perfect place to direct this sort of question. Anyway, no teasing intended and if feasible I will try my hand at a quilt.
    Sorry, but the reason why some of us thought you were teasing us, is this is a QUILTING forum, as in actually making quilts, not a QUILT forum discussing mass produced items.

As far as what you are looking for, I would look into a featherbed. It's basically a thin feather mattress. You can purchase a zippered cover for it which can be laundered easily. Here is an example:
    http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bat...ml?searchidx=0

Hope that you take some time to look over some of the other posts on the board to see what lots of beginner quilters can accomplish.

As