Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best rotary cutter? >

Best rotary cutter?

Best rotary cutter?

Old 06-11-2016, 02:42 AM

Fiskars makes an adjustable, multi blade position cutter. I am an Olfa gal myself...the curved cutter, 60 mm. But I am right handed.

sandy
Old 06-11-2016, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
You left-handers ...be on the lookout at JoAnn Fabrics. I've seen several times a Ghingher rotary cutter (60 mm) for left-handers for a ridiculous price (I can't remember the price, but I was thinking I would try to "become" left-handed for that price)!

I often salivate over the Ghinger rotary cutters. Does anyone have one and is it worth the money?
I have a Ghinger that I bought on a close out sale - my Joann's no longer sells them - it 's good but I always seem to go back to me ergonomic Olfa.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:42 AM

I have a drawer full of rotary cutters. I'm left handed so I like the ones that can be used in either direction. My very favorite is from KAI. http://kaiscissors.com/kai-rs-45-rotary-cutter-45mm/ It feels cushiony in my hand, only cuts when I put pressure on it, and helps me have good accuracy. I highly recommend it!
Old 06-11-2016, 04:59 AM

I have the Gingher left-handed rotary cutter and like it. Yes, it's expensive but with a coupon of 50 percent off, it helps a lot. The Gingher left-handed rotary cutter is ergonomic and really nice. I also have the Olfa ergonomic rotary cutter but the Gingher is slender and really nice.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:01 AM

You left-handers ...be on the lookout at JoAnn Fabrics. I've seen several times a Ghingher rotary cutter (60 mm) for left-handers for a ridiculous price (I can't remember the price, but I was thinking I would try to "become" left-handed for that price)!

I often salivate over the Ghinger rotary cutters. Does anyone have one and is it worth the money?
I bought a Ghingher rotary cutter and prefer the Olfa 45 . The Ghingher does not "feel" comfortable in my hand and does not cut as smooth as the Olfa in my opinion. So there the Ghingher sits in it's pretty silver metal case on my shelf.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:41 AM

I bought a Ghingher rotary cutter and prefer the Olfa 45 . The Ghingher does not "feel" comfortable in my hand and does not cut as smooth as the Olfa in my opinion. So there the Ghingher sits in it's pretty silver metal case on my shelf.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:47 PM

I love my ergonomic Olfa cutter. You can make it left handed by switching the blade to the other side. That is what I do. You can't switch the blades on some cutters.

Many people like the Martelli cutters, which have a left handed version, but I found them awkward.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:07 PM

I'm another Martelli fan. Cutter and mat.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:45 PM

I'm in the minority - I prefer Fiskars cutters. They're not readily available here so I had to order from the US. I have 60mm, 45mm 28mm (for cutting curves) and even 18mm, which I use for cutting applique shapes.

The Olfa Ergonomic I bought when I first started quilting I keep for trimming batting etc. (more for the fact that I don't want to dull my other blades than because I like it).

I also use an Omnigrid mat. Most of my rulers are Omnigrid - made sense to me to buy the same brand of mat. I've had my big one three years - not a mark on it.

Happy quilting