Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best self healing cutting mat--large????

Blog Entries

Best self healing cutting mat--large????

I am looking at purchasing a 40x60 inch self healing cutting mat. I know that Martelli has them on sale now, but their large one isn't a 40x60 inch one. What are your favorite mats and where did you get them?

I bought a larger one through Blick Art Supply, and while it works well as far as cutting, I stopped using it because it does not have different markings for 1" increments (it is a grid at 1/2" with no differentiation). I had not realized how much I use those inch marks, since I never use the markings on my mat for cutting.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Following this thread.. due to the martelli sale I, too, am curious about large, self healing cutting mats and have been reading through many previous threads on the subject this morning. I'm hopeful we will have some updates from those who have purchased/used the Rhino, Magic, Alvin, etc.. I'm also loooking for either 40x60 or maybe a custom cut mat.

Macybaby - I agree with clear 1" markings - necessary for my aging eyes
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

I purchased a large Fiskars mat from Joann's with a coupon, and have used it steadily for several years. I like it a lot, but don't have anything else to compare it to. So I am really curious. What makes one mat better than the others? What makes the Martelli so good? The only thing I can think of is the markings. Other than if you bought a very inferior product that didn't self heal.

I have the 36 x 59 Sullivans cutting mat that fits my cutting table. I don't use it as my primary cutting mat as I have a Quilter's Select large mat on top of it at one end. It great to line the cutting table and I have it when I need to cut or measure long lengths. I have the Martelli Roundabout at one end and the mat on it is very good.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Just a heads up concerning Martelli mats. They only recommend using their cutters with their mat. I bought the Martelli mat several years back ($$) and it has not held up as well as less expensive mats I have owned. It has serious worn groove problems so I will be replacing it soon. So I will be following this thread. Seriuosly the best mat I have ever used is the Gingher mat but they are no longer available.

Quote Originally Posted by pewa88 View Post
    Just a heads up concerning Martelli mats. They only recommend using their cutters with their mat. I bought the Martelli mat several years back ($$) and it has not held up as well as less expensive mats I have owned. It has serious worn groove problems so I will be replacing it soon. So I will be following this thread. Seriuosly the best mat I have ever used is the Gingher mat but they are no longer available.
    Our LQS uses and sells the Martelli mat. We noticed deep grooves in the mat at the cutting table.

sometimes it isn't the mat, it is the worn blade in the cutter that causes the problems

I bought the largest green mat about 20 years ago, because I had a cutting table to fit it. Much of that acreage is wasted space. 36" on the longest side is more than enough for me, I can't cut steadily at that distance anyway and that is the longest ruler I have. I do far better precision cutting with the fabric folded in half which is more in the 20" range and cutting goes much faster.

What I've ended up doing is sliding the sides around because the space I've been cutting on is worn, looking for a new clear space. I've got two more moves then it is out of here and I'll never buy one that big again. I'd prefer smaller and replace them when needed. Our differences are what make us interesting, right?

sometimes it isn't the mat, it is the worn blade in the cutter that causes the problems
    I have seen so many quilters at retreats that put so much pressure on the cutter that it goes into the mat. Some say they want to make sure it cuts all the way through. Some say the blade is skipping so they have to press to get it to cut. No wonder their hand and shoulder hurts. I use a weighted cutter so I don't have to push it through the fabric.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by pewa88 View Post
    Thanks very much for this information. I have seriously considered the Martelli mat because all I have heard were great reviews. Guess it's back to the drawing board trying to figure out which large mat I can source in Canada that won't cost an arm and a leg. Thanks again.

I use and like Olfa mat, 24" x 36" it works great for me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I actually contacted Martelli about the problem with the mat and they told me that do not honor a return if another cutter has been used on their mat.???? I actually got the cutter too but I am not a fan so I just went back to my Olfa.

I have an Olfa but also Quilter's Select. Quilter's Select is my favorite.

If you have to press hard with your rotary cutter CHANGE THE BLADE! I have been ordering blades from Amazon and change them much more often than I would with the blades that cost so much more. I have a Martelli mat and turntable and have had no problems cutting the mat.

CR
    I purchased an Olfa, it was two years before I could use it because it smelled like skunk. When I did use it it cut through and I was using an Olfa cutter. I have only used it for two years. I will not buy another one.

If you have to press hard with your rotary cutter CHANGE THE BLADE!

Yes!
    I have never understood using a skipping or worn blade. I hear someone say but it's still new, I changed it not long ago. I change blades at first skip. I have quiet a few cutters so I reach for another one and put the one with the bad blade in a basket to change later. Blades and machine needles are the most inexpensive items I buy for quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I have seen so many quilters at retreats that put so much pressure on the cutter that it goes into the mat. Some say they want to make sure it cuts all the way through. Some say the blade is skipping so they have to press to get it to cut. No wonder their hand and shoulder hurts. I use a weighted cutter so I don't have to push it through the fabric.
    OnebyOne, what weighted cutter do you use? I wasn't aware such a thing exists. Is the premise that it's heavier so requires less pressure? TIA.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

I use Quilter's Select rotary cutter. I have a Gingher one too and a Tulip Pink one. Lots of Olfa ones in different colors. I like the Quilter's Select best. I have three of those. Every time I go to Paducah quilt showI buy the Quilter's Select Special box for $99 that has the rotary cutter, thread, QS ruler, mat etc.

I use the Quilter's Select cutter too. I have a partially torn tendon in my right hand which is my cutting hand and doing a lot of cutting results in it hurting. The weight of the Quilter's Select cutter means you have to press less.

As for the person with the Olfa mat that you cut through, are you sure it was self healing... not all of them are. I have had two Olfa mats for 16 years and they are in great condition, they're just not large enough to cover the surface of my cutting table.

What's a weighted cutter??
    New quilter but loving it!

Also it helps your mat to soak it in water for an hour or so a few times a year. An Olfa Rep told me this at the Road to CA show years back and my mats are in great shape. Like others I do change my blades once I know they are skipping. When I started on the QB people talked about the various sales on blades on the internet and I kept ordering them. Some are rather old now and I need to heat them with a hair dryer to get them apart.

Name:  cutting mat.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  122.8 KBThis mat, is a healing mat, and It is very large, nice to work on. You can get them even bigger than the one I have. You can see it comes from the USA, and that is where I found mine. They have their web address on the mat in the picture. I purchase my rotary blades from LP Sharp, and send them my old ones, then get new Olfa blades from them as well.
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

Sounds like they need to change the blades periodically
    I am an Olfa gal. I think that they do "custom" sizes. I should check that out. only olfa for me.
    sandy

ok, try this link for Olfa

https://www.olfaproducts.com/olfa-rm...ry-mat-set-314
    Last edited by Sandygirl; 01-07-2019 at 02:44 AM.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    loving retirement

I got my Martinille mat on Tuesday, have not used it to cut on yet though. It sure is heavy, quite a bit thicker than my Alvin mat (the one I don't like the markings on).

Will be interesting to see how the new mat holds up. I don't use the marks for cutting so don't regularly cut in the same spot. Though I've worn through the same 4"x4" spot on all four edges of my Fiscars mat. It's seen some pretty hard use in the last five years. But I think getting one mat to last five years is pretty good, probably cut out over 60 quilts, and I love little pieces.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast