Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: E-Magazines?

E-Magazines?

Has anybody tried any of the magazines that are available electronically? I'm not thinking so much of the F+W brands (Love of Quilting, McCalls, etc) but there are some smaller publications as well as British magazines. Even electronically, the British titles are about the same price as American. But, I'm wondering if they offer some variety from the F+W publications? I know I'm an anomaly. I still get most of their titles in print. But, they tend to run together. I'm never really sure if I'm reading Love of Quilting, McCalls, Quilting Quickly, etc. The couple of smaller publications I have found (Quilting Patterns and Quilting Companion) are inexpensive, but I noticed that Quilting Patterns is trying to implement limitations on how their patterns are used and how many times you may use each pattern.

Just curious on everyone else's thoughts on these publications.
    The wonderful thing about Tiggers is that Tiggers are wonderful things.

Unless I’m missing the boat on this, my experience is that I haven’t found a way to print a pattern provided in an e-magazine. This is a killer for me as I like to write on my patterns and have them at my fingertips for reference with out having to access it on my iPad. For that reason, I don’t subscribe electronically.

I've never had a problem with printing a pattern from the E magazines. On the viewer I use on my laptop there is a save and print feature. The magazine has to use a viewer to open so change viewer if the one you are using doesn't have the features you want. They are free to download. Usually the computer will ask what program you want to use to open the magazine, and many have the use this program always checked. It may not be the one that has the features you want.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 01-09-2019 at 09:15 AM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

If you like modern designs have you tried this digital magazine from Australia?
    https://www.makemodern.com.au/about
    'Tacky' does not necessarily refer to the quality of adhesiveness.

Blog Entries
    oh I used to buy Australian Patchwork Quilting mags, loved them. also Quilt Mania from France. but i've cut back on all magazines. I do not want to print my own out. nor store them on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Notwendy View Post
    If you like modern designs have you tried this digital magazine from Australia?
    https://www.makemodern.com.au/about
    Oh I like the Make Modern emagazine! Will have to take a closer look at it.

I have narrowed down paper magazines to just QuiltFolk which I consider more of a book than a magazine. And I'm happy with the few remaining emagazines that I subscribe to. No more magazine clutter and storage issues!

To answer the OP's question - I have subscribed to the two overseas magazines you've referenced and while I enjoyed reading through them they were not ones I kept as a "must have". JMHO.

Good luck!
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

Senior Member sewingitalltogether's Avatar
    I get today'squilter online from AU. It's pricey but I like it. Also get a free monthly magazine. It's www.onlinequiltmagazine.com. There's not much to it. I read the www.quilterblogs.com daily. I get more out of that. It scrolls through bunches of quilting blogs each day.

I've been unlucky with subscriptions. It seems that the magazines I like best are the ones most likely to go under.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    after taking almost all the F & W magazines and the Machine Quilters Unlimited and Modern Quilting Unlimited, I'm like several of you that are trying to narrow down my subscriptions. So I'm hanging on to Modern Patchwork, Quiltmaker, and just subscribed to Todays Quilter (out of the UK). I would love to find a really good machine quilter magazine that give ideas on long arm quilting--any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by pchp View Post
    I've been unlucky with subscriptions. It seems that the magazines I like best are the ones most likely to go under.
    Me too. All my faves bit the dust
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Blog Entries
    i won't subscribe to a magazine unless i can get it electronically.
    magazines are usually too full of ads, with - at most - one pattern i haven't seen rehashed under a zillion different names, a zillion different times.

less clutter in my sewing area; easier to pick out only those things that are of genuine use.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

Have your tried an app called issuu?
    It has all kinds of magazines, and I think you can print off pages from the app.

I subscribe to an app called Readly which I believe is run out of Switzerland. Works on both Android and IOS. It's fantastic! Plenty of quilting magazines from many countries at one low price per month. Lots of variety. If you do other crafts there are just loads of magazines. Seems like the UK and Australia still have lots of craft mags even if we don't!!

Forgot to say - if I want to print any patterns from my e-mags, I just take a screen shot on my iPad. I can then send the page to my wireless printer. Not sure what your setup is, but that's what I do.

Blog Entries
    I’ve had a subscription to The Quilt Pattern Magazine ( TQPM) since they began, a number of years now. I like having the digital magazine, I can download and save it, look up any pattern anytime and print off what ever I need. They also have an online group that is free to join if you are a subscriber.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Even tho I'm computer savvy, I have not developed a love of reading anything on a tablet, especially magazines...they don't have any life in them. However, there have been changes lately with some of my favorite magazines -McCalls and BHG All People Quilt and frankly, the changes are bad. The death of Laura Boenke as test quilter left a terrible gap. She was very talented and so far, no one has come near filling her shoes. Both pubs I mentioned seem to have become more elementary and boring. Meanwhile, Quiltmaker which used to be elementary and boring has become more interesting..not enough to have me renew, however. So....I'm close to stopping my American pubs and looking overseas. Someone on this board mentioned that AU and UK have very interesting pubs and I agree....I'll be heading that way and if I have to get them electronically then I'll spring for maybe one...and it's time to start going through my mags and culling...all my Quilter's Newsletter collection went to a kindergarten teacher (she was thrillled) and I haven't missed a one!

I haven't missed a one!
    I bundled my magazines and gave them away too. I couldn't believe I held on to them for so long. All patterns in them are online and much easier to search for one then going through piles of magazine pages like I would do that anyway. I get two mailed subscriptions, both gifts, and I keep one , Quiltmaker, for a couple of months and then take to the guild free table. The other, Block, I keep as it is more like a book then a magazine. No more magazine stacks for me.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I got rid of all my magazines several years ago. They don't interest me anymore. It's probably because of the internet.
    I've never had an e-mag so I can't comment on that.

Thanks for the comments regarding printing. I’ll have to try to see if I can print from my laptop as I can’t seem to get patterns to print from my iPad unless I do a screen shot.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the magazine location. OH and I LOVE your signature statement...
    It's a true statement.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Blog Entries
    Don't understand how any company can limit the number of times you use a pattern that YOU purchased. I can see their limiting the number you can make for sale, but you should be able to make as many copies as you want for give aways.