Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best selling mug rugs for Christmas? >

Best selling mug rugs for Christmas?

Best selling mug rugs for Christmas?

Old 09-19-2016, 10:18 AM

Fabric has gotten so expensive to make things for sale and make a small profit...I just bought fabric for pillowcases, 3,
cost $30, they are gifts, to make a profit I would have to charge what...I don't know to much for a sale...
Old 09-19-2016, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
A person can not make a profit on any fabric item if they go to a LQS and pay off-the-shelf price.
Respectfully, I can & do make a profit selling quilts that are made with LQS (often organic) fabric. It depends on your market. It's true that most mug rug/coasters would fall into the inexpensive gift category & even $6 sale fabric at JAF is bordering on too expensive ... but there are fiber artists out there who have found niche buyers who are looking for something specific & are willing to pay a lot more.

What determines how much a businessperson should spend on materials should be market demand. If the market is telling you that it won't support items (e.g., mug rugs) that are more than $2.50 a piece, then everything (including packaging & displays) needs to come in at less than $1 and you need to be able to be a lightening fast quilter. If the market is looking for unique "luxury" items, the demand for mug rugs in the form of unique pieces of usable art might command a price of $10 a piece, in which case the owner could invest either more time or more money in her product and still be profitable.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy View Post
I just made 30 mug rugs 6x9" for the girls coming to an upcoming retreat we are having with our church. They go along with a workshop I'm doing and no way did they take 7 minutes. Not even close. I loved doing it because it will be a special and unexpected treat for the attendees. I used a bunch of my excess batting and pieced them then cut to size, did quilt as you go strips then layered them with designs that I sewed overtop and quilted down at the same time. I cut the backing larger enough to bring around and use as binding. They are adorable and I really enjoyed the process as it was the first time for me making mug rugs and I used up lots of small scraps of beautiful fabric that I had no idea what to do with otherwise. Would I do them for a venture such as yours though? Not in a million years. I guess I can't do stuff for profit because with the time it takes I can't see any way to make a profit. So if it's fun, go for it. If not and you won't make any money what is the point? Unless you just want to enhance your community with beautiful handwork. I say do what you love and leave the rest behind.
Would love to see the mug rugs you made.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
Great breakdown. I believe the key is the price of the fabric. A person can not make a profit on any fabric item if they go to a LQS and pay off-the-shelf price. If you buy in a store, you need to shop wisely. Also, the idea of quilting a larger piece, cutting it into sections and binding is great (I will definitely use it!), but, for a newbie the birthing method might be quicker. Another trick when using binding is to use a decorative stitch. This way if you are in a hurry, you can be a bit off with your stitches and no one will be the wiser. Take an afternoon without interruptions, lay out all your supplies and then time yourself thru the whole process of making 2 mug rugs. This is your starting point. Of course you will speed up as you go, but it is a base to work from. To give yourself a break from the mug rugs, after making a few sets, make a set of 4 placemats. This will give a variety to your inventory and keep you fresh. I would not use solid fabric, but perhaps small prints that read solid. I would also make the holiday sets and a few 'regular' sets. You will find that if you have all your supplies ready, you will spend a whole day making them, building an inventory and feeling excited about it. There is nothing better than at the end of the day looking at a table top with all the finished product on it and knowing you did that! And take pictures with notes on fabric, time involved, things not to do the next time, etc. If you treat it as a business, it will work as a business. If for some reason the don't sell at that shop, you will have your christmas and hostess gifts already made or a head start on selling on etsy. But, do keep it fun. Good luck.

Good ideas! I'd have fun timing myself to make two mug rugs, start to finish , including the presentation tag or whatever. The interruption-free afternoon could be tricky, though. What's that? I have a high schooler who needs a twice-daily chauffeur.

I'm just resting up from finishing a house my hubby and I are flipping. It hits the MLS tomorrow! It's hard to get motivated for another adrenaline rush when my gut tells me I probably wouldn't make money on the quilted products. I can make a whole lot more money per hour with my regular part-time job as a tutor.

We shall see. I have a deadline for finishing a baby gift right now.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:23 PM

1. Should I use Christmas and/or Hanukkah themed fabric or non-seasonal, year-round prints? I prefer year-round prints as I like to use them as gifts.
2. Best size? 9X11
3. Sets that match or sets that coordinate? How many per set? Two ? Four? I like to buy and sell them separately.
4. How to price. In her shop, the consignor or gets 60%, and the shop 40%. I usually found that if I tried to sell them over $7 they didn't sell.......
5. Binding or birthing method? I did a birthing method with a decorative stitch close to the edge.
6. Any other considerations? Food items seemed to sell well....appliqued and a separate space for cup by the side of a goodie........I pretty much found stuff in my stash.....helped me and them!

Good sales to you!!!!
Old 09-19-2016, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

I didn't have much luck selling mug rugs. Most people have no idea what they are for and are unwilling to pay much for what they consider a coaster. I did a mug with the mug rug rolled up in it, chocolate kisses (wrapped in celephane) for Christmas craft show at $10 and came home with most of them. I ended up gifting them for Christmas presents.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
1. Should I use Christmas and/or Hanukkah themed fabric or non-seasonal, year-round prints? I prefer year-round prints as I like to use them as gifts.
2. Best size? 9X11
3. Sets that match or sets that coordinate? How many per set? Two ? Four? I like to buy and sell them separately.
4. How to price. In her shop, the consignor or gets 60%, and the shop 40%. I usually found that if I tried to sell them over $7 they didn't sell.......
5. Binding or birthing method? I did a birthing method with a decorative stitch close to the edge.
6. Any other considerations? Food items seemed to sell well....appliqued and a separate space for cup by the side of a goodie........I pretty much found stuff in my stash.....helped me and them!

Good sales to you!!!!
Do you mean food-themed fabric mug rugs sold better? Applique is too time consuming for something with such a narrow profit margin, at least for me.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:25 PM

Thank you Bree123 for such a great post. The information you have shared is valuable.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:28 PM

i would make some holiday mugrugs, but i get more use from something colorful or neutral fabrics. i use mine to throw my keys on so i don't scratch a table. i would pair one mugrug with two criss-cross coasters such as this design. http://patspattering.blogspot.com/20...other-way.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558558[/ATTACH]

i use the birthing method on my mugrugs. i quilt them before i put the backing on. don't forget to add this tag:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558559[/ATTACH]

Look on pinterest for inspiration.
Attached Thumbnails criss1.jpg   ugomugo.jpg  
Old 09-20-2016, 05:05 AM

I sold all but one of my mug rugs two yrs. ago at our guild table at a quilt show. I do not make sets. To me, mug rugs are individual items for individual people. As for packaging, tell people to go to the Dollar Tree. We have an excellent crafters/artist's store in my nearest town and I was seriously upset that even the jewelry had no boxes, but they convinced me that it would add too much to the item price and each consignee would have to provide their own and it would be a mess for whoever was running the store for that particular day, as they had to take turns if they have item for sale there. Then I discovered that great bargains in gift boxes can be had at the Dollar Tree and that solved that problem.