Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best selling mug rugs for Christmas? >

Best selling mug rugs for Christmas?

Best selling mug rugs for Christmas?

Old 09-20-2016, 05:57 AM

Mac, birthing method is when you stitch right sides together leaving an opening, turn inside out, and hand stitch the opening closed, tho' I have machined stitched it closed while top stitching around the whole project. Great information here, but I think I'll just keep to my "hobby" an not try to make it a business. Just me.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:27 AM
mac

Originally Posted by Quilter 53 View Post
Mac, birthing method is when you stitch right sides together leaving an opening, turn inside out, and hand stitch the opening closed, tho' I have machined stitched it closed while top stitching around the whole project. Great information here, but I think I'll just keep to my "hobby" an not try to make it a business. Just me.
Thanks for the explanation. I have never heard it called that. Don't you just love it? I learn so much on this Quilting Board.

Re: Selling. I have sold crafts and sewn items in the past. I hardly made a profit back then and with the price of fabric and anything else to do with quilting being as expensive as it is -- I don't think I will be doing it anymore. What things I do make to sell is for a senior center that sells crafts to make money for the upkeep of the center. At least this way, I know I am not going to make a profit and that it is an act of love.

The part I used to really hate is when people would come and look at my items for sale, and they would turn to their friend and say (right in front of me) "Oh, I can make that and it would be so much cheaper." I always wanted to say, "I can hear you."
Old 09-20-2016, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I have never heard it called that. Don't you just love it? I learn so much on this Quilting Board.

Re: Selling. I have sold crafts and sewn items in the past. I hardly made a profit back then and with the price of fabric and anything else to do with quilting being as expensive as it is -- I don't think I will be doing it anymore. What things I do make to sell is for a senior center that sells crafts to make money for the upkeep of the center. At least this way, I know I am not going to make a profit and that it is an act of love.

The part I used to really hate is when people would come and look at my items for sale, and they would turn to their friend and say (right in front of me) "Oh, I can make that and it would be so much cheaper." I always wanted to say, "I can hear you."
I agree with your last item: same thing I often heard! Or they say "aldi" or as you may say "Trader Joe" sells it much cheaper!!! My answer in my mind: then go and buy it there!!!
And to the MugRugs: I often sew them fitting to some mugs, like these:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558573[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558574[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p1120716.jpg   img_3523.jpg  
Old 09-20-2016, 11:42 AM

Very cute!
Old 09-20-2016, 12:55 PM

I make my mug rugs 5x7 inches. I bought cellopane recloseable bags that they fit into. Shop around and your can find some really nice ones inexpensively. I print the little info paragraph on some decorative paper and slide it into the bag on the back side of the mug rug. That way, they stay "sanitary" and people who give/receive them know what they are. They are pretty common to us, but the general public needs the explanation! I also printed out on some bright paper what they are used for and set it by the display. People commonly ask me, "What do you do with them?" I point out the paragraph and my list of uses...office gifts, something to give with a birthday card, an acknowledgement of a kindness, hostess gifts, etc

I sell them by the hand full at craft shows that I sell at. However, I do not quilt mine. I use machine embroidery and they are all done in the hoop. I have found that people did not buy Christmas ones no matter how gorgeous they were. Last year I did not sell any Christmas ones. What sells for me in my market are ones that have a theme to them and something that makes them laugh. I think that coming up with thematic ones would be easy, but the "funny" part more difficult. Also, you'd have to buy thematic fabric if you don't have any...like jungle, flowers, coffee, etc. so you'd end up using a little bit of a lot of different fabrics which can be an expensive initial investment.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:27 AM

I bought a dozen themes mugs about a year ago and never made the mug rugs to accompany them. Seeing how well yours turned out may be the incentive for me to do mine. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by 1000scraps View Post
I agree with your last item: same thing I often heard! Or they say "aldi" or as you may say "Trader Joe" sells it much cheaper!!! My answer in my mind: then go and buy it there!!!
And to the MugRugs: I often sew them fitting to some mugs, like these:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558573[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558574[/ATTACH]
Old 09-21-2016, 07:44 AM
mac

To 1000scraps: Great job on your theme mugs and rugs. I can seeing people wanting to buy them for gifts. I can also see that you are good at marketing, something we all need to learn when selling our things.