Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best selling quilt pattern >

Best selling quilt pattern

Best selling quilt pattern

Old 06-28-2011, 11:52 AM

I will offer a bet that there are hundreds of quilts in families' closets/chests that no one else knows about. Therefore, even the most made will never be known. I also believe that many of the "history" articles depend on where the person grew up and what they have been exposed to. City dwellers vs farmers have very different habits and needs as does those "well off" vs not so well off (I did not consider us "poor" but we were in some ways).
Old 06-28-2011, 11:56 AM

What about the 9 patch it is simple and has been around along time.
Karen From Freedom,ohio
Old 06-28-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by seasaw2mch
I have been reading through this discussion and it's interesting to hear all the responses but I still don't see much in answering the original question so I tried a search myself and came up with some pretty interesting information.

Mind you, it still doesn't answer the question but it sure gives a lot of insite as to what might have been the most bought pattern.
here's an interesting webs site that talks about the old quilts
Both of these links takes you to articles that are very interesting

http://hartcottagequilts.com/his9.htm

http://hartcottagequilts.com/his11.htm

SO far as I can tell, it might have been the Sunbonnet series.But when you talk about patterns does that also includes embroidery patterns? if so then check out this link.

http://hartcottagequilts.com/his5.htm#lac

it seems there is a huge difference between the oldest patterns used and the oldest patterns sold
Interesting links. Thanks
Old 06-28-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by lynda1945
I would also think Log Cabin, but since you're saying best selling there would be several choices. Perhaps it still could be Log Cabin ????????
but how many quilters would need to buy a pattern for a log cabin? All you have to do is chose the size of you chimney and go from there.

The uneven log cabin is a bit different, but even it doesn't need a pattern.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Parrothead
I will offer a bet that there are hundreds of quilts in families' closets/chests that no one else knows about. Therefore, even the most made will never be known. I also believe that many of the "history" articles depend on where the person grew up and what they have been exposed to. City dwellers vs farmers have very different habits and needs as does those "well off" vs not so well off (I did not consider us "poor" but we were in some ways).
Every word is soooooooooooo true!
Old 06-28-2011, 12:23 PM

Really thinking hard - I think the Crazy Quilt would be the original quilts that were made, but I'm not inferring that as best selling or having a pattern. This is a great question and I hope someone can find the answer.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:38 PM

It's Log Cabin -- I will look for the pie chart that was done by someone a few months back where Log-Cabin was winner by a landslide. Can't find it at the moment, but it was an on-line survey.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by lsmft
It's Log Cabin -- I will look for the pie chart that was done by someone a few months back where Log-Cabin was winner by a landslide. Can't find it at the moment, but it was an on-line survey.
What was the question? Favorite pattern?
Old 06-28-2011, 02:26 PM

I would also say Log Cabin or Trip around the world. This is interesting I hope we will be able to find out
Old 06-28-2011, 02:37 PM

I found the pie chart - from Quilter's World Magazine, probably about a year ago. "Your Favorite Traditional Quilt Blocks."

37% Log Cabin
9% Nine Patch,7% Double Wedding Ring, 5% snail's Trail, 3% Dresden Plate-Irish Chain-Sunboneet Sue; 2% Card Trick-Chrin Dash-FriendshipStar-LaMoyne Star-Pinwheel-Sawtooth Star. 1% Drunkard's Path, Carpenter's Wheel, and many, many more.