Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best selling quilt pattern >

Best selling quilt pattern

Best selling quilt pattern

Old 06-28-2011, 11:08 AM

Best selling would have to be Eleanor Burns Irish chain 'Quilt in a day'. It is the first she self published, and continues in print today. Also, it is my favorite 'quickie' quilt.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Banned

you must remember the vintage blocks were never sold as
"patterns"..they are public domain blocks...many of the vintage quilt patterns were sold as "booklets" not as patterns.Even the Mountain mist batting patterns were eventually sold in a book, not as individual patterns.

I would have to say the best selling pattern would be the yellow brick road.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:27 AM

I have been reading through this discussion and it's interesting to hear all the responses but I still don't see much in answering the original question so I tried a search myself and came up with some pretty interesting information.

Mind you, it still doesn't answer the question but it sure gives a lot of insite as to what might have been the most bought pattern.
here's an interesting webs site that talks about the old quilts
Both of these links takes you to articles that are very interesting

http://hartcottagequilts.com/his9.htm

http://hartcottagequilts.com/his11.htm

SO far as I can tell, it might have been the Sunbonnet series.But when you talk about patterns does that also includes embroidery patterns? if so then check out this link.

http://hartcottagequilts.com/his5.htm#lac

it seems there is a huge difference between the oldest patterns used and the oldest patterns sold
Old 06-28-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by grumpy90650
i think i would have to be an old pattern, as they would naturally have higher numbers....i would be interesting to find out........
the original question was "best selling". Many of the old pattens were handed down from grandparent, to mom, to child (or other family members). Doubt any of the old pattens were "SOLD" prior to the late 20th century.
sorry.....
Old 06-28-2011, 11:37 AM

I would think the log cabin.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:40 AM

The BEST selling ??
Has to be the Yellow Brick Road by Terry Atkinson, and probably Eleanor Burn's first Quilt in a Day/ Irish Chain :)
Old 06-28-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
I would bet recently the best selling would be "turning twenty." Or "yellow brick road" So many people talk about making these and it's almost universally known by quilters and you can't find it free on line anywhere.
Both of those patterns are so simple there is no need to buy a pattern. I've made maybe 5 turning 20s and nary a pattern in the game.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:42 AM

The key words are "best-selling quilt pattern" -- not printed in a newspaper, not the most popular pattern, not passed down. My guess would be an early Eleanor Burns pattern, one of her Quilt In A Day series. For more recent patterns right near the top of the list would have to be Yellow Brick Road and Turning Twenty. I doubt we'll ever get the definitive answer; great question. Thanks, Miss Fay.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
i think i would have to be an old pattern, as they would naturally have higher numbers....i would be interesting to find out........
the original question was "best selling". Many of the old pattens were handed down from grandparent, to mom, to child (or other family members). Doubt any of the old pattens were "SOLD" prior to the late 20th century.
sorry.....
Oh, no reason to be sorry, but the original question isn't fitting what most of us have replied with.

If the question were "most popular" that would not reflect how many quilts were made using a specific pattern as anyone could LIKE a pattern.

Which pattern is used most often to make a quilt would pobably be the best way to phrase the question. And some of the standbys (log cabin, 9 patch, various stars) are used in conjunction with other designs quite often
Old 06-28-2011, 11:46 AM

I would also think Log Cabin, but since you're saying best selling there would be several choices. Perhaps it still could be Log Cabin ????????