Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best sewing machine ? >

Best sewing machine ?

Best sewing machine ?

Old 08-10-2012, 05:10 AM

For portability and quality of stitching, hands down a featherweight in spite of their age.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:14 AM

You will get many answers on who likes what as for me I prefer the Pfaff with the IDT foot as it really holds the fabric in place but the best thing to do is cut some strips then check with your dealer and try sewing your strips together then pick the one that fits your budget and you like the preformance of always remember they demonstrate with that stiff fabric which is nothing like your quilting fabric
Old 08-10-2012, 06:39 AM

This is like saying " what's the best car?" You have to try them out, and see what you like. I'm sure with all the quilters on this board, you'll get a million different answers and be more confused than when you started! One of the most important things, though is a good dealer, who can provide service and education on the machine if you need it. Many people who are starting out as beginners and get a machine from a "big box" store because it's the cheapest one they can find, are surprised when the store personnel can't help them with questions about it or service problems. A good dealer is a great support. Good luck with selecting a machine.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:56 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have a really nice machine and a average machine and I like them both. The average machine has never let me down. The really nice one has had to go to shop numerous times and I end up using my average one to take its place. My really nice one does everything, but I only do a couple of things with it, so I kinda didn't need this nice of one. I could have just went up a notch.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:28 AM

I love my Bernina...others love their Pfaffs, others their New Homes, etc...best thing to do is go to different sewing machine dealers and try out the machine for what you want to use it for.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:03 AM

Well, there are so many good ones out there, that it is hard to say. When I was growing up, I learned to sew on a Singer 66 which was a workhorse. Much later I discovered that "Nothing sews like a Bernina". I have returned to the older, vintage, all-metal machines for piecing (Singer 66, 201, 301, Pfaff 1222E, Viking 6570), but quilting is a joy on my Bernie.

"A chacun son gout" = "To each his own"
Old 08-10-2012, 08:13 AM

I sent you a PM.
Diana
Old 08-10-2012, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
I love my Pfaff with duel feed. It makes piecing a breeze and goes over seams like they are not there. You won't go wrong with Pfaff.
So agree
Annie
Old 08-10-2012, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I love my Baby Lock - wouldn't trade her for anything. But then, she has a lot of features that I don't need. When I research a machine, I write down the MUST HAVES, the WANTS or WOULD BE NICE and find models that support the features. Then I read lots of reviews. Patternreview.com has lots of info on machines by users. Then I go test drive the ones I select. From there it comes down to fit and price.
I'm with you - LOVE LOVE LOVE my Babylock. There's a new machine with the quilter in mind - The Symphony. Local prices here (MI) is around $1800 (that's what my neighbor paid for hers). She is very happy with this machine. She was an avid Janome owner but once she started using the Babylock machines when we meet for our Project Linus group, she really liked The Symphony. I have an older model (Esante) which is sewing and embroidery combo. It's only been in the shop once in 4 years to have it cleaned and replace a bobbin case (from too many broken needles)....all my own fault.

So, as others have suggested -- check out some of the different machines, decide what you gotta have, would like to have and really don't need, and sit down and actually sew on them, then decide what's best for "you".
Old 08-10-2012, 02:17 PM

Any Janome