Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Sewing Table/Cabinet? >

Best Sewing Table/Cabinet?

Best Sewing Table/Cabinet?

Old 05-28-2014, 09:54 AM

Default Best Sewing Table/Cabinet?

I'm looking for a new sewing table for quilting. Which one should I buy?
Old 05-28-2014, 09:57 AM

It depends on your budget and available space. I have a Koala and absolutely love it, but they're a little pricey. There have been several threads on this topic over the past few months that have some great info.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:22 AM
Banned

I lust for a room full of Koala (if I knew I wasn't going to have to move again) ... *but*....

I have a Gidget II table for my machine and another 2x4' folding table to my left that holds another cutting mat and an ironing pad that I use with a Rowenta travel iron. I like that my scrapmabob thing will clamp to my Gidget and I have a place for my drink and that waste container.

Then I have another folding table directly behind my machine - so there is an area that can support large projects coming off the back of my machine... and I also use it for my cutting table.

Then to my right, I have another small folding table that holds my laptop, iPad and any thing I'm using to write on for when I work on my blogs or my patterns.

I look at that gorgeous Koala... and I actually think it wouldn't be as comfortable - to actually work with - as what I have going on.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

I have a 6' long utility table up against a wall and my sewing cabinet with my 401 contained butts up against it. Sometimes I put down my 401 then put my other Singer on it. I also have a card table I can use if I need to quilt on it. No heavy drooping of material. Takes all of 2 minutes to set up. On my 401 desk cabinet, I can put the ironing mat to the right of the sewing machine. Cost me about $40.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:35 AM

I have a Horn Quilters Dream. It works great as the machine sits down flush with the top and there's plenty of room behind and to the left of the machine. And it can fold down and be a "sideboard" type piece of furniture if needed. It is made of wood laminate though, not real wood.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:24 AM

I have the Horn Quilters Dream also, but got very lucky to find it at a great price on Craigslist. I think that any way you get your machine flush to your table is a big plus. The Koala cabinets are certainly beautiful, and if I didn't care what I spent, I would go for the counter height set up.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:53 PM

I have a Perfexionquilters cabinet and 3 drawer chest. The chest slides under or pulls out for quilting. It also has a surface on the back that folds down when not in use. It is perfect for quilting. Perfexion is not as pricey as Koala or Horn. I bought mine off the internet and it was shipped to me assembled per truck. I love my cabinet and have been more than satisfied. I think I gave $1200.00 for it but that was several years ago............prices have probably gone up. Check it out I think you will be pleased.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:00 PM

My DH made this for me- cheap! I love it!!!! Here is the u tube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14govA4pIM
Old 05-28-2014, 01:54 PM

If you saw my set up you would think "scavenger" I have old countertops out of the kitchen sitting on three Xerox boxes on each end. I have a curved computer desk that can hold two machines and my serger. I use my ironing board at the left side of the machine lowered to be able to turn and iron on it. I would love something else but this is where it's at for me right now. Spent my money on new machines and fabric!

I also have two 6 ft utility tables up on bed risers for cutting. A JoAnn fabric foldable table that holds the largest cutting mat and the ironing cover that goes over the whole thing. It works for me.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:57 PM

I have two Horn cabinets and I love them!