Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best site for selling quilts >

Best site for selling quilts

Best site for selling quilts

Old 07-24-2019, 04:08 AM

I have an Etsy shop and love it. I sell baby quilts and baby things. I started in 2015, and every year my sales have grown. I don't make enough to support myself, but I am retired and that was not my plan. I do it as a hobby, and it is fun and very rewarding.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:14 AM
Power Poster

I may open an Etsy shop to sell vintage quilts that I've collected. I have way too many to keep.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:02 AM

Etsy was made for all of us who handcraft items and found ebay was just not the right forum. They took the best parts (paypal and privacy) and improved the areas lacking (costs and conversation). I have started several people selling on etsy and I think that they have some of the best tutorials on how to set up the business that are out there anywhere. Couple things to remember - #1 Take good pictures. You can use your phone camera, but do it in natural light (maybe drape over a chair on the porch) and take some close-ups. You can put in 10 pics for same price (I pretty much stay with the standard- decorative, front, back, couple close-ups). #2 Be 'cute' in your description. Not only describe it, but add in something like 'perfect for the little one to take a nap with the puppy under the sunshine'. #3 check others for their pricing. People have no idea what it costs to make a quilt. If you are buying retail, you will never recoup your cost. I buy super sale and online and can keep the material costs for a throw down to under $50 and keep the work to a simple design and sell my laps and throws for around $90 - $100. Your shipping is going to run around $20 (scrunched down in as small a box as you can do) so you need to figure that in also. You may have better luck finding a holiday boutique (look for the special ones and work hard on your display and you will attract folks. If you have bits left over, consider making a bunch of tote bags with quilted fronts (and market them as gift bags) and perhaps quilted stockings, trivets, smaller items to draw folks in. What doesn't sell will still be on Etsy. Hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:56 AM

I think quilting has grown in popularity over the years to the point that it is like afghans. It's hard to sell afghans because almost everyone knows someone who makes them. I heard there are something like 20 million Americans who do quilting as a hobby. That, and the import quilts. I have not sold a quilt for anything near what it was worth for a while now. If you can do it, great.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
You might also put in some ads on your local Craig's List. We have a lot of completed projects for sale in our Crafts section.
Be careful on craigslist. Don't let someone come to your house. If possible, meet the somewhere where there is a lot of people. Also don't go alone. Some places local law enforcement have designated a place where you can meet safely.