Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best size for Hunter's Star >

Best size for Hunter's Star

Best size for Hunter's Star

Old 12-31-2013, 11:23 AM

Default Best size for Hunter's Star

I'm debating methods to do this block, but I'm not sure what scale is best. I'm usually not a "big block" person, but I fear that if I go too small, there will be so many stars, it will be sort of nervous (if that makes any sense).

Up to now, I have been more into the fabrics and colors than geometry and design, so this will be a new adventure for me.

Any thoughts as to the size you like best for hunter star?

Thanks,
Charlotte
Old 12-31-2013, 01:47 PM

It all depends on how your star segments pop. If you use a color for the stars that is in heavy contract to the rest of the block you will see the stars no matter how small the block. If you want a 2 color quilt that would be better in a larger block. Just my humble opinion.

Google Hunters star images and take a look at what comes up. Might help you make up your mind.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

I have heard some good reports about the Accuquilt Go! Hunter's Star die set. People say it makes this pattern easy to do. Not sure what size it is, but you can probably Google images for it and get an idea of what it looks like made up.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:55 PM

Deb Tucker has a ruler for the hunter's star. Our quilt group used it and everyone loved the results. If you go to her website below there is a gallery of quilts made with her rulers and the pics will give you an idea of how different sizes and colors look in this pattern.
http://www.studio180design.net
Old 12-31-2013, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

I have the Hunter Star Go die. I think it makes a perfect size block for this pattern. Finished block size is 12". I use to paper piece this block and that was easier then templates.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:49 PM
Banned

How many size options are you considering. I am not aware patterns or templates come in many sizes -prolly 10 and 12". Are you considering drawing your own pattern to a specific size.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
How many size options are you considering. I am not aware patterns or templates come in many sizes -prolly 10 and 12". Are you considering drawing your own pattern to a specific size.
I would probably draw it. I have made a paper pieced drawing that would be a 6" block (4 together at 12" would put the star in the center), but it could be drawn any size. i also looked at the Deb Tucker rulers, which have a range of block sizes for each ruler. Which got me to wondering what size people normally make it.

I'm going to check out the size of the Accuquilt dies, which might be a clue.

My last quilt was a simple 4-patch, set on point, with no neutrals and intense colors mashed together. I got the idea from a Kaffe Fassett book ( not to compare myself to him!). It's time to try something where the pattern is more important. Once I figure out what to do.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 01-01-2014, 11:47 AM

Thanks for the responses. They gave me something to think about.

Hugs,
charlotte