Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Thread for English Paper Piecing >

Best Thread for English Paper Piecing

Best Thread for English Paper Piecing

Old 04-05-2018, 09:46 AM

Default Best Thread for English Paper Piecing

I have been sewing for all my life but never knew much about what type of thread to use for my different projects. I just finished star with 10 diamond shapes which will be appliqued onto a 6 1/2" background. I'm using dark Kansas Trouble fabrics and am disappointed with the results since I can see too much of my stitching. Maybe some of you who do a lot of English paper piecing can suggest what kind of thread will work best.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:29 AM

I have been using kimono silk only bc that is what was originally suggested to me. I have heard that Bottom Line, from Superior threads, is a good choice. They are a good company to work with, in my opinion. Here is a chart from their website that has thread suggestions for different applications: https://vw-superiorthreads.storage.g...tion-guide.pdf (or go to www.superiorthreads.com, scroll to bottom under education, reference.

You might also want to google flat back stitch. I've seen demonstrations of this method where even thread that was a completely different color did not show at all.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:04 AM

I use Bottom Line, it's a strong, fine thread. I like that you can get an array of colors by purchasing one of their bobbin collections.

You might also consider what kind of stitch you're using. I use a ladder stitch with Bottom Line thread and you cannot see the stitching at all.

You can see a picture at post #19 in this thread:

Ladder stitch for needle turn appliqué?

And an illustration of how to do the ladder stitch here:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...aBDWkQ9QEIKzAA
Old 04-06-2018, 04:22 AM

I use Gutermann 100% cotton thread. As Peckish suggested, it may be your stitches, rather than the thread. I don't use a ladder stitch, but a whip stitch in which I stitch at a 45 degree angle. /// Like a backslash /// for some reason, the stitches show a lot less when I stitch this way, rather than perpendicular like an lll.... Also, you may need to take smaller bites of fabric with each of your stitches. Really all you need is a few threads from each fabric to create stitches.
Another thing to keep in mind is your stitches will be less noticeable after you are more experienced. Stick with it, and find what works best for you. Good luck on your EPP journey
Old 04-07-2018, 06:07 AM

I was just recently introduced to Bottom Line by Superior Threads and I love it for hand appliqué. I purchased a light grey and you can’t see the thread stitches at all.