Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best thread for quilting >

Best thread for quilting

Best thread for quilting

Old 09-16-2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by ChubbyBunny
I think "Star" is made by Coats and Clark. I avoid that brand because (in my opinion) it is cheap and doesn't hold up well. I use Superior thread for machine quilting. YLI is good too.
Interesting. Yes, it is made by Coats and Clark and I absolutely love it. So do my machines.

Goes to show, there is no one-size-fits-all in quilting. Phew, that's good too or this board might get boring. lol

Hope you find one that works - have you tried Connecting Thread spools?
You know, it could be a machine thing. Seriously. Maybe different machines handle different threads in different ways. Does that make sense? LOL!
Old 09-16-2010, 07:10 PM

Or it could just be the blue thread from Star. I had recently bought the blue and the pink. The fabric was a little bit different that I sewed these 2 colors on. But the thread when I pulled on it would break and fray. I don't think it was the machine. I think the thread was bad. My other color thread did fine and didn't break on the machine. I'll be checking them out, but think I will be using this thread for something else, lol.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:22 PM

I was using Coats & Clark but when I ran out of my navy blue and bought more I bought Mettler which is polyester. Most on this board swear by 100% cotton. I went with the Mettler because with the 1 fabric shop in town -- that's what they sell so it's readily available. If you get 100 different responses, you'll get 100 different opinions. I saw a post a while back that was very helpful to me and that was to look on the website for Superior Threads at their Education tab. There is a TON of information about thread there. I never knew there was sooo much to know about a spool of thread.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...FZZM5QodQ12NLA

Hope this helps :)
Old 09-16-2010, 07:50 PM

I use Aurifil for both piecing and quilting (machine) and absolutely love it!
Old 09-17-2010, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

and i tried superior threads and hated them, paid big bucks for some yli quilting thread, it broke every 2 inches...
i am loving the threads from connecting threads.
but every machine has it's own mind, and some threads work for me and not for you, it really is a trial and error thing, try new threads when you come across them if they work, make note of it so you can buy it again, if it doesn't work, make note of that so you do not buy it again.

Originally Posted by ChubbyBunny
I think "Star" is made by Coats and Clark. I avoid that brand because (in my opinion) it is cheap and doesn't hold up well. I use Superior thread for machine quilting. YLI is good too.