Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best type of batting/wadding for a sofa quilt/throw? >

Best type of batting/wadding for a sofa quilt/throw?

Best type of batting/wadding for a sofa quilt/throw?

Old 01-27-2009, 08:40 AM

Ok, I'm WAY ahead of myself with this question. I'm making a quilt/throw for MYSELF. I am imagining something for cudding up under on the sofa. The top is underway (using up leftover fabric from my Mom's duvet cover, some denim from my old jeans, charm packs from secret santa and lots of other interesting bits and pieces)

Anyway, I want the quilt to be quite 'drapey' if that makes sense. So that when you lay it over you it drapes and covers you with a bit of weight, say like a towel would, so it fits to the contours of your body. Am I sounding bonkers? :roll: :shock: :?:

I have only worked with poly wadding so am wondering if one of the natural fibre waddings would be more suitable to what I am thinking of?

Your advice, as always, would be appreciated!
Old 01-27-2009, 09:11 AM

I love Warm & Natural. It gives you that look.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:25 AM

fleece will give it some draping. I find the batting makes it hold it's shape.

I use fleece a lot for the babies, they love it and it's easier to work with than minkee- although.... that's a treat for yourself- wrap up in minkee!

ooooh, I want a quilt for me with minkee.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:10 PM

I have a queen size quilt that I used poly batting and fleece...
I love the "weight" of that quilt...so much I did another one this past year...
However, I did not do fancy quilting. In the ditch, vertically about every 5 inches and then a few horizontal.
Did this on my home machine...just pin, pin, pin...and take your time.
Kirsten
Old 01-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Power Poster

The most "drapey" quilt I ever made had a batting of Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon 100% cotton. Every time it is washed, it gets softer. I saw the quilt many years later, after multi machine washings, and it was like one of those wonderful old-timey quilts that cost a fortune -- soft in color and soft in texture. The only thing about this batting is that I would not recommend hand quilting it as I did! Afterwards I found out that it had oils and seed bits in it that made hand quilting more difficult than it should be. If I wanted to hand quilt and achieve a similar texture, I would turn to Quilter's Dream 100% cotton batting. It gets good reviews for hand quilting ease and shoudl shrink and soften the same as mine did.

One of the things to be careful about with 100% cotton batting is to quilt closely enough.

I made a similar quilt out of poly batting at the same time. Also saw that quilt many years later. Alas, it had not held up to the machine beatings and was a lumpy mess. The child who owned it still loved it, though!

I haven't used Warm n Natural in quite a few years. Its advantage is that quilting lines on it can be far apart; the needlepunched scrim holds it together well. The reason I don't use it is because I find the drape to be quite stiff compared to 100% cotton.

Mary
Old 02-01-2009, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

nope, don't sound bonkers to me, lol. sounds like you know how to express that comfy "tucked in" feel...all warm and snuggly. If you have kitties....(thinking that bc of your nick), then of course you know, they will burrow under there with you. Ain't love grand? :lol: