Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best way to add words to border area? >

Best way to add words to border area?

Best way to add words to border area?

Old 09-29-2017, 03:29 PM

Default Best way to add words to border area?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581467[/ATTACH]
Hey Y'all!
I'm working on a baby quilt for my niece's DS. Its a really cute dancing barnyard animal design inspired/based on Sandra Boynton's 'Barnyard Dance' book. I created the background, rooster, pony & tractor using invisible machine applique. The other animals will probably be a zig-zag applique. (I had to put a 'lining' behind them because the underneath color showed through - which made it harder to turn the edges - hence the alternative applique method on them.) The picture is my EQ design.

Anyway - my question is this - what would be the best way to add the words onto the wide blue border area? The words are Cock-a-Doodle Doo; Moo ~ Cluck~ Quack; Baaa ~ Oink ~ Neigh; and Chugga-Chugga for the tractor. (What does a tractor say!?!?!) I could quilt the words in - but would they show up very much??? Satin stitch - but how would I keep it from pulling/wrinkling in places? I don't have an embroidery machine - but should I take the stripes to a embroidery shop? Would that be worth it/cost effective? Really didn't want to applique all those letters...
Any thoughts!? All ideas & suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
Donna Mc
Attached Thumbnails farm-quilt-horse-tractor.jpg   farm-quilt-animals-sounds-quilted.jpg  
Old 09-29-2017, 04:30 PM

OOops - didn't mean to post the picture twice. Trying to edit it out...
Donna Mc
Old 09-29-2017, 04:42 PM

Check out www.theinboxjaunt. She has a free motion tutorial on words. I think if you do the thread color in something contrasting, it should show up just fine. I just completed a flag wall hanging that I quilted My Country Tis of Thee in the white stripes. I even used a thread color that was not much darker than the stripes and it shows up nicely.
Attached Thumbnails flag4.jpg   flag5.jpg  
Old 09-29-2017, 04:46 PM

I would appliqué, but I have the alphabet Go! die.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:55 PM

Cute baby quilt.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:27 PM

I have taken material and had it embroidered and then cut the material to fit my quilting needs I wish I could embroider myself... but maybe someday
Old 09-29-2017, 08:25 PM

I would trace the words as they are on the pattern. Then stitch over them 3 to 4 times using a straight stitch doing a word at a time.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:51 AM

Oh that does show up nicely! Thank you!!
Donna Mc
Old 09-30-2017, 07:36 AM

You could always hand embroider if you don't want it machine done
Old 09-30-2017, 01:48 PM

I have done my GD's names on the front of their quilts in the border with FMQ. However, after reading the posts, I'm thinking that you may want to use some kind of pellon. Maybe the light-weight one that you could leave in or try the tear-away kind. I did not use any but I believe it would be helpful especially if you use more that one pass over the letters. You may also want to starch the fabric too. You could use a small zig zag over the letters but I would think you would really need some stiffening in order to get it to lay flat. Practice on a scrap piece of the fabric with different backings and see what happens. I really love the idea and would hate to see you get in a bind on the quilt itself. Not easy getting those stitches out. Good luck and please let us see your finished project.