Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best way: machine binding, how do you do it? >

Best way: machine binding, how do you do it?

Best way: machine binding, how do you do it?

Old 03-21-2015, 09:01 AM

Default Best way: machine binding, how do you do it?

I tried to completely bind a quilt on the machine but am not so happy with it. I don't like the attach to the back and stitch down to the front method, so I attached it to the back. It was cut 2 1/4" so it wasn't that wide, but at the point where you turn and sew it down I realized that even after moving my needle over 2 clicks (and 3 is too much) there will be too much that sticks out beyond the stitching so I will still have to hand sew it in order for it to look nice. So how do you figure out much seam allowance will make it come out nice. I know you girls have tricks up your sleeve. Please share. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2015, 09:09 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

This is the method that works best for me. Many thanks to Charisma for posting it.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ge-t77821.html
Old 03-21-2015, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

I agree, use Charismah's binding with flange. I match the flange colour, the colour of thread you top stitch with and the the backing fabric colour. If the thread colour matches the backing, I only have one line of matching thread showing on the backing when finished and it is barely noticeable.
This method also works well if you don't quite have enough fabric for a regular binding, it gives an extra firm feel to the binding and helps eliminate wavy edges too.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:35 AM

Someone directed me to Sharon Schambers youtube tutorial which I found extrrmely helpful
Old 03-21-2015, 11:08 AM
Power Poster

I sew to the front and hand stitch on the back
Old 03-21-2015, 12:25 PM

I prefer to sew to the front and hand stitch too but there are some that I do machine finish and I definitely prefer the same method at krisb and Tartan. It always looks great
Old 03-21-2015, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

I do test pieces to get the look I want.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:32 PM

I sew mine to the back with a straight stitch and flip to front and use a zig zag to sew down I try to make sure that it goes over the edge so I do not have a flap usually works well for me.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the reminder about Charisma's tutorial. I have used that several times with great results. Otherwise I sew to the front and hand stitch to the back. I don't have any wrist, joint or arthritis issues and I enjoy the hand sewing.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:58 PM

I sew my binding on by machine all the time. Not into hand sewing anymore. I sew it to the back using 2 1/4" binding folded in half. I then bring the binding to the front about 1/8" or so past the stitching (from sewing it on the back). I use my blind hem foot (or stitch in the ditch foot, or the one you use to butt two fabrics together -- They are just about the same to me). I put the edge of the binding against the center flange, and move the needle a couple of clicks to the right so that it hits the binding about 1/16" from the edge. I then stitch keeping the edge of the binding against the flange. I get a perfect line of stitching along the edge of the binding and it shows on the back just below where I sewed it on. I make sure my bobbin thread matches the backing and it is hardly noticeable. I hope this is clearer than mud!!! Ann