Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
best way to make hanging sleeves after quilt is finished. >

best way to make hanging sleeves after quilt is finished.

best way to make hanging sleeves after quilt is finished.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:51 PM

For LARGE quilts to be hung at a quilt show, I read that it is recommended to use a split sleeve, so that the hook can be inserted over the hanging rod. Is it best to make the two side pieces of the sleeve about 6 inches long, and the whole center piece be in the middle-about an inch from the end pieces? I can't find a picture of one made that way. Any advice is welcome....

( It also said that it is recommended now to NOT sew the hanging sleeve on before adding the binding, which is so much easier... Now, I have to HAND sew both edges!!)Also, what do they do with the bottom of the quilt if it is 103 inches long and the hanging rod is not that high???
Old 08-31-2011, 10:33 PM

sounds complicated, at our shows we have black draping fabric thats laid on the floor to protect the quilt.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by daesy3
For LARGE quilts to be hung at a quilt show, I read that it is recommended to use a split sleeve, so that the hook can be inserted over the hanging rod. Is it best to make the two side pieces of the sleeve about 6 inches long, and the whole center piece be in the middle-about an inch from the end pieces? I can't find a picture of one made that way. Any advice is welcome....

( It also said that it is recommended now to NOT sew the hanging sleeve on before adding the binding, which is so much easier... Now, I have to HAND sew both edges!!)Also, what do they do with the bottom of the quilt if it is 103 inches long and the hanging rod is not that high???
This happened to me. I put a sleeve on and then read the "rules" of the show and it said the quilt had to hang no less than 90". I contacted the show and they said to put another sleeve on and label it so they knew to use I actually bought one of the premade sleeves for that (I think it is called quilter's hangup or somethign like that) and put it on just for the show. Funny thing....the quilt that won 1st play had about a foot laying on the floor.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

Each show has its own rules and specifics, so you are best to ask those in charge.

When I entered into two Fairs last year, and read the instructions, I was at a loss as to what to do ... and a simple phone call, helped to calm me fears. It turned out that so long as the size of the sleeve was met, most people simply pinned the sleeve in place with safety pins.

It was exciting ... as it was the first time I'd shown ... and the first time I'd seen my quilts hung!!!