Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
best way to make HST? >

best way to make HST?

best way to make HST?

Old 07-27-2011, 05:45 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Ok, I'm new to this quilty thing, and recently made some pinwheel blocks using the Missouri Quilt method (sew 2 squares together on all four sides, then cut on the diagonal to make four squares).

It was just pointed out in another post that this method results in lots of bias edges, which I know can be trouble.

So, my question is, what is the easiest, most sure-proof way of making HST without bias edges?

I would rather use a special ruler than a paper method (Thangles or whatever).

Hope I'm not opening a can of worms here. :wink:
Old 07-27-2011, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

Cut two squares and put them right sides together.
Draw diagonal between the two corners.
Stitch 1/4" on each side of the line.
Cut down the pencil line.

Voila!! Two HSTs, no bias edges!!!!

I always make mine a little larger and then trip to size using the sewn seam to square up with. That way they are precise .... and give me the accuracy when joining them into blocks!!

If you need multiples ..... just draw the required number of squares on a larger piece of fabric. Add the diagonals. Stitch and then cut on the grid lines as well as the diagonals. Then square and trim.

Easy peasy for a multitude of HSTs in no time!
Old 07-27-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

I always make mine a little larger and then trip to size using the sewn seam to square up with. That way they are precise .... and give me the accuracy when joining them into blocks!!

If you need multiples ..... just draw the required number of squares on a larger piece of fabric. Add the diagonals. Stitch and then cut on the grid lines as well as the diagonals. Then square and trim.

Easy peasy for a multitude of HSTs in no time!
The first way is my favorite method also. The second way takes me longer to draw the grid lines, sew and trim than doing it the first way.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:08 AM
Banned

I am doing this now and find the two squares, line down the middle etc the easiest way. My finished size of the block is 3.5" so I got the 3.5" Omnigrid ruler and recut.
I started with a 4" sqwuare and while it worked to recut, I then started doing 4 1/4" squares ad it was easier with a bit more fabric to trim. I also found in the piece I am doing that my accuracy is better to press all seams open. At first I presed the HST to the side ad it gave too much bulk at the ends so then started pressing open and much less stress. In the block I have 12 HST and 4 plain squares and time is important and ease of assuring accuracy.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:19 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by QuiltE

I always make mine a little larger and then trip to size using the sewn seam to square up with. !!
Totally agree.

The traditional formula is:

FINISHED of HST block + 7/8" = Size of starting squares.

I don't bother with eighths of an inch. :mrgreen:

Just add at least 1" (I usually add 1.25"-ish) to the FINISHED size, use the method as described by QuiltE, and you'll be golden.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:28 AM

I agree with QuiltE and MTS.. and another benefit is you can chain stitch those and stitch up a ton at once.. and boy is it fast!! You actually are stitching on a diagonal .. but the distortion isn't there.. as long as you don't pull the fabric through.. just let the feed dogs do their job.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:33 AM

Check into El Burns method, much easier and very fast.
http://quiltinaday.com
Always perfect HST.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:35 AM

When I sew and cut squares on the diagonal, I always have to trim each and every HST. And invariably, some aren't big enough to trim.

I'm using the scantest 1/4" I can possibly manage - which is actually 3/16". HST's have been my nemesis from the start.

I use the Triangulations CD - print out the finished size of HST or QST that I want, starch two fabrics facing, pin to the light side of the pressed pair, sew and cut apart. I don't even have to press with the iron if I don't want to - finger pressing folds them flat enough that I can piece them.

I do have to take the paper off the back, but I don't have to trim. They're right on the money for size and the seam crosses exactly from point to point on the square. :) (This perfect perfectness does not apparently enable me to set it accurately into a block - but at least the parts are accurate for those occasions when a block comes together correctly despite all my efforts to mess it up. ;) )

There are free patterns on the web that you can print out and try this method. If you like it, Triangulations costs only $22 at Connecting Threads - that's the best price I've found, anyway.

Here are a bunch of the free patterns:
http://www.quiltingandwhatnot.ca/Hal...-Triangle.html
Old 07-27-2011, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
Check into El Burns method, much easier and very fast.
http://quiltinaday.com
Always perfect HST.
i went to the link/her site. but i couldn't find the hst method. could you point it out?
Old 07-27-2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
i went to the link/her site. but i couldn't find the hst method. could you point it out?

This one uses her 6½" Square-Up Ruler - it's a pdf file:
http://quiltinaday.com/RulerInstruct...ulerInsWEB.pdf

If you have any trouble with the pdf, go to the "Free Patterns" page and look for 6½" Triangle: http://quiltinaday.com/freepattern/