Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite way to make HST?

Could you tell me your favorite method of making a HST? I have seen a new (to Me) method where you sew strips of fabric into a tube///???? anyone do this?? then there's the cut two squares and sew and cut diagonally. I would never even consider cutting a triangles and trying to sew those bias seams together..Just looking for ideas before I copy Ranger's avatar quilt.

Blog Entries
    There is another method where you sew the 2 squares of fabric together around all 4 edges and then cut the sewn blocks into 1/2 squares. I know I just watched the video but can't remember where now :roll: :oops: Maybe the Missouri Quilt Co?

I prefer the method where you use the half-square triangle paper. I think it is called Triangles on a Roll. Anyway, I always have good luck with it. In fact, I am getting ready to start a queen-size quilt that is made up entirely of half-square triangles. I wouldn't try it any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    There is another method where you sew the 2 squares of fabric together around all 4 edges and then cut the sewn blocks into 1/2 squares. I know I just watched the video but can't remember where now :roll: :oops: Maybe the Missouri Quilt Co?
    E. Burns had a show on doing them this way.

I like the sew 1/4 inch on each side of the diaganal line you draw from corner to corner. I'm not good with the math needed, but it works for me!

Blog Entries
    i usually just draw the line down the center..all of them,that i will be needing..while watching tv.
    then i chain stitch them all one way, then cut them, and chain stitch the other side.
    works for me.

i have used Thangles, and i love them too..very precise.

i post a link in the links sections for a different way to make them..have not tried it yet..no time right now..but it looks cool!

the thread shoudl be on the "recent topics" page

Thangles Quilt
    Name:  Attachment-84723.bmp
Views: 92
Size:  468.3 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cminor
    I like the sew 1/4 inch on each side of the diaganal line you draw from corner to corner. I'm not good with the math needed, but it works for me!
    Me too. And from a Pam Bono book I learned to make a grid for a lot of HST's using the same two colors. You draw the 1/4 inch lines beside the diagonal lines and then when you sew you can use just two seams to end up with as many as 28 or more! If I can every find the book I can tell you how!

Blog Entries
    here is her website:
    http://www.pambonodesigns.com/SuperS...ProductID=1424

you can also google "making HST's u-tube" and i will bet you come up with lots of different ways to make them!

Blog Entries
    her free instructions for making different HST,and other squares..

http://www.pambonodesigns.com/EDocs/...FREEHOWTOS.pdf

Blog Entries
    Here is Rhonda's tutorial:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-37915-1.htm

I still have to try it. Looks easy.

For now, I still sew mine finished size + 1" sew 1/4" from the center line in two direction, trim in half and square off.

wow, thanks Amma!! I went to Missouri Quilt and learned the neat shortcut of holding the squares in half and pressing with iron each square on the diagonal..wow, that beats marking one of each pair with a ruler and a pen!! thanks for steering me to that video!!

Blog Entries
    Wow, lots of cool links here thanks everyone, we sure learn together

the method I use depends on how many of the same color combination I'm making. For just a few I do the two-square stitched twice process and for making a lot I use a computer program which allows me to print out paper with stitching lines for the number and size of finished square I want..I print up as many sheets of paper as I need to do the job. I've used Thangles (a different brand from Triangles on a Roll) and they work fine, but I prefer to print my own -

Pam
    I do it the old fashioned way, I mark out the squares and draw the diagonal lines on the back of the light fabric, using up to 1/2 yard of both colors, sit down and sew the diagonals, cut on the squares, press trim and then I have about 70 or so all made up. Squaring is the worst for me, standing at that table makes my back stiff.

I saw that same video. it was Missouri Quilt Co. I went to their web page but couldnt find it on there. I would sure like to find the video again

:cry:

Quote Originally Posted by Barb130
    I saw that same video. it was Missouri Quilt Co. I went to their web page but couldnt find it on there. I would sure like to find the video again

When I first saw the video, it was on here. someone had posted the website. it was a Youtube from MQC.

Another line down the middle and stitch 1/4" on either side, cut and press here.

I bought some Thangles on a Roll but haven't used them yet.

Banned
    i do the two seams down the middle. Also, find that when I cut the initial squares a little larger and then recut to size that it goes better for me. It is difficult to get the exact 1/4" seam if the initial square is cut exact (4 7/8" for instance)

Great links. Thanks everyone. There are always alot of ways of doing everything its just the one you like best. :thumbup:

I am doing a pattern now that doesnt tell you what the final size should be just what to cut them, could you tell me what i should square up to if i cut them 3 and 1/4, thanks

I've started using Eleanor Burn's triangle square up tool. You end up with four HST or two QST using the intructions with this tool. They come out very well for me.

http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...lay.asp?i=1087

I got mine at JoAnns with a coupon.

I prefer El Burns method also. No bias edges to contend with. Plus you make 8 at a time.

here is the site I was talking about.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekYpJzHoW6E
    When I first saw the video, it was on here. someone had posted the website. it was a Youtube from MQC.

I have used the Wonder Cut ruler for several years now and find it easy to use and accurate (you sew strips together and then cut according to a line marking). But, I recently used Thangles for a class and am growing to like them --- no bias edges to stretch out of shape! No marking, only one or two pins, then sew several at a time if needed. They are worth the money when accuracy counts.

I just saw a new technique (new to me anyway) that I'm going to try the next time I need HSTs. Cut two strips on the bias, sew down both sides, use a triangle ruler or small square ruler to cut them laying the center line on the seam line and cut first from one sewn edge and then flipping it over and cutting on the other side. I'm thinking the HST won't need trimming to size because you are basically doing that as you cut them from the strip. Sounds easy anyway!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast