Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best way to prep circles for applique >

Best way to prep circles for applique

Best way to prep circles for applique

Old 08-01-2013, 08:31 PM

Ive had good luck with this method. http://annamariahorner.blogspot.com/...r-circles.html
Old 08-02-2013, 03:29 AM

GR. that is one beauty of a quilt.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:11 AM

For larger ones I kind of use Tartans method. I use stabilizer instead of dryer sheets and i put water soluble thread in my spool holder and regular thread in my bobbin and stitch a closed circle, then trim, slit, turn right side out, carefully with a DRY iron set your shape, then turn on the steam and blast...then pick out your bobbin thread and remove your stabilizer or dryer sheet.
NOTE: don't forget to mark this thread and keep it seperate from your sewing threads...I have heard of people making a mistake and using the water soluble thread for peicing. then they finish their projects, wash them and oh what a mess.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I agree with the Perfect Circles. They are perfectly round and smooth and saves you a ton of tedious template making. I have yet to see a handcut circle template to be as nice. If you cut your fabric with pinking shears it will curve around the circle a lot easier
I have these perfect circles....bought when I took a class from Kay. I personally would not recommend them. The first time you use them....as directed....they become warped and are not as nice to use! Pretty expensive for one time use.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
You can make your own circles out of card stock, water color paper or a cracker or cereal box. I use a compass to draw my circle then carefully cut it out. I cut out my fabric circle with a seam allowance and then do a loose running stitch around the edge. Then I use my cardboard circle and place my fabric over it, centering it and pull that running stitch tight. Makes a perfect circle. Press it real good with the cardboard still in it then take the cardboard out, give it another press and spray it with starch. Then press again. Perfect circle everytime. It is how I made this quilt:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]427577[/ATTACH]
Wow, wow, WOW! This is my dream quilt....I have been thinking about making something that would look just like this! I love Asian fabrics AND circles! Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 08-02-2013, 05:59 AM

I use fusible interfacing instead of dryer sheets. After you turn your applique, DO NOT IRON.....use the "fat" end of a point turner, or spoon and run it around the inside of the circle to smooth out the seam allowance, then trim the interfacing (leaving enough to glue your circle), press the circle down on your block.
It makes appliquing so much easier. Make sure that when sewing the interfacing to your fabric that you have the glue side to the right side of the fabric so the glue side is out when you turn the circle.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:49 AM

Just did some surfing regarding those circles by Buckley.....very wide price range....on amazon offering at a very low price, eBay at high prices...... Not that I am thinking of buying...just had to comment on price range....
Old 08-02-2013, 09:05 AM

I love your technique Tartan. And now on to the Snowpeople wall hangings
Old 08-02-2013, 12:53 PM

You all have great ideas.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:47 PM

Default Try OLFA circle cutter.

Hi Laura, if you make a lot of circles, I recommend the olfa circle cutter! It works GREAT:
Cut perfect circles from 1-7/8 to 8-1/2 inches in diameter.
Features built in blade cover for safety and a plastic guard to cover the pivot spike when not in use.
Great for fabric; paper; vinyl; film; leather or more.
For right- and left-handed users. Includes RB18mm blade.

You can get it cheaper on ebay, amazon or joanns with a coupon.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CEAMCY
It makes perfect circles adjustible to 8.5inches. I was doing a lot of Peekaboo or mock cathedral window quilts as you go and it cuts circles thru several layers at once. I had 60 c ircles in a blink. It uses standard (small) rotary blades--easy to change. I wish I knew how to post a photo. Haven't mastered that yet. Hope that helps.