Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best wool batting??? >

Best wool batting???

Best wool batting???

Old 07-30-2014, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

I use Hobbs Wool Batting. The company is based in Texas and gives generously to communities and quilt groups and their employees come before the bottom line. I have tried other battings which were fine but Hobbs is my choice.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
The only wool I have used is Warm & Natural. I have used Hobbs cotton batting and liked it so I would bet their wool is fine too.
My mistake! I went back and checked and the wool batting I used was Quilters Dream. Sorry!
Old 07-30-2014, 06:37 AM

I have used the Hobbs wool batting with no issues.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:46 AM

I was recently looking into trying wool batting for the first time, as well. There were some differences between Hobb's and Quilter's Dream. The QD promises virtually no shrinkage, while the Hobb's says up to 3% shrinkage. The Hobb's is resin bonded, whereas the QD is thermally bonded, and as a result you are supposed to wash in cold water and dry without heat (Hobb's recommends drying flat). Hobb's says can be quilted 4" apart, where QD says 8". I chose the QD, but am now definitely concerned about this reported bearding issue, so I think I'll go with Hobb's next time. I wrote to both companies asking for pre-washing instructions, and they both said, do not pre-wash.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

When I re-read the old thread about the Quilter's Dream wool bearding problem, it did seem to me that the backing fabric may have been too loosely woven for the batting. So many people have used QD wool without problems, it makes me think that some other factor may have been responsible.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
When I re-read the old thread about the Quilter's Dream wool bearding problem, it did seem to me that the backing fabric may have been too loosely woven for the batting. So many people have used QD wool without problems, it makes me think that some other factor may have been responsible.
I hope so! I was really excited about trying the QD wool. It's so light and airy! I did notice, though, as I was layering a quilt with a plain muslin backing, that the wool batting is see through, and I can actually see the colors of the underside of the quilt top right through the backing fabric! So probably a colored backing is advisable when using a wool batt.

One thing I forgot to mention is that Hobb's offers an 80/20 cotton/wool blend batting as well, in their Tuscany collection, which sounds really interesting.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:14 AM

Thank you everyone for all the input!!!! I just ordered a case of Hobbs washable wool twin size from batt-mart. I really do wish that I had a LQS (sigh). Now if I can keep my momentum and get these all done by Christmas!!!!
Old 07-30-2014, 07:02 PM

I love wool batting! it's very easy to work with and has a wonderful loft. it makes a comfortable quilt that breathes. go for it. i'll bet you'll love it!
Old 07-31-2014, 01:19 AM

I highly recommend QUILTERS DREAM Batting - I bought it for a special quilt and it was so easy to work with. Wish I could afford to use it with every quilt!
Old 02-07-2020, 12:20 AM

Default I like Hobbs

I haven’t tried another wool batting, but I use Hobbs and like it. Quilter’s Dream is a wool/poly blend. That’s why it’s less delicate with less shrinkage. I prefer natural products, so personally, I’d avoid the QD.