Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which is better? >

Which is better?

Which is better?

Old 10-26-2012, 06:22 AM

Just a word about black - it shows EVERYTHING! Every little bit of dust, pet hair, fuzz, lint - whatever. Black looks awful in no time. No matter how clean you think you are, stuff gets stuck on black and it looks dirty and worn. Maybe you can convince him to get a black print or stripe, but if you can talk him out of plain back, I would!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:41 AM

Have you considered using a 100% cotton sheet for the backing fabric? My DD and I use sheets as backings for most of our quilts. They are certainly much cheaper than purchasing the yardage.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:12 AM

Kona solids
Old 10-26-2012, 09:16 AM

Kona solids or Michael Miller Black
Old 10-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Banned

For this project, though, I'd keep in mind that this is a t-shirt quilt which probably won't turn out to be an heirloom, so maybe the very best quality fabric might not be necessary for the backing. Also just as a caveat, I recently made a quilt with a plain black backing--took many hours to find and clip off the many little black threads on the back at the end, plus being able to find all the SITD lines on the back to be sure I'd sewn them all.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:52 PM

Just curious....I'm starting a t-shirt/baby fabrics quilt in memory of a baby girl who died of SID. The mom gave me lots of her baby clothes, even some still with tags on them, never worn. She provided a pink fleece type throw to use as backing. Is there a way I can stabilize the fabrics, make blocks, then add this backing to the quilt top and have it work out? I've not done something like this and an array of knit fabrics and even some with nylon-type ruffles or appliqued designs is a bit worrisome. I plan to do a simple block quilt and add a 'mama bird feeding a baby bird' applique (using ruffles for the birds bodies) as the focus design.
Suggestions are appreciated!
Old 10-26-2012, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Not to bring up a subject that's been beaten to death, please be aware that Kona has become sort of a generic term.

The "Kona" cottons in Joann's are NOT the same as the Robert Kaufman Kona Solids available at your LQS, unless the bolt says Kaufman.

Not all fabrics labelled Kona are created the same way, however the Kaufman brand has strict standards:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...tml#post746926

These differences aren't so noticeable on the white fabric, but can be on the colors and black.

I understand it can be a price consideration, but if you can, here are two fabulous black fabrics.

My preference is always the Michael Miller, but the Kaufman solid is another alternative:
http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item...Black--srcin-1

This black also has its fans (but I think that's just because they haven't yet tried the MM ):
http://www.keepsakequilting.com/productdetail/9738.htm
I recently had a rather lengthy Web conversation with a representative of KONA. She said that any company selling fabric and calling it KONA was in violation of copyright law.
She assured me that whether I bought fabric labeled KONA at Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's or a discount house, the fabric will absolutely be the same quality. She also said that she never failed to be amazed at the amount of misinformation that the sewing public, especially quilters, spread in the absolute belief that they are right. She also said that consumers who suspect they are being ripped off by a knock off company should contact Kaufman. I am absolutely certain that JoAnn would not knowingly sell a knock off and call it KONA. froggyintexas
Old 10-26-2012, 04:44 PM

I just bought 108 in. black from Joanns with a coupon.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pieces2 View Post
Your quilt top is 100% cotton, so your backing should also be 100% cotton. This way the fabrics shrink the same.
Not all cottons shrink equally - some shrink not at all - some shrink a LOT!
Old 10-27-2012, 08:56 AM

I detest Joann fabrics But do not use any with polyester it affects the bobbin for your long armer She will hate you because it really affects that backing stich.