Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: big board ironing board top

I was walking through the laundry section at WalMart yesterday and they had a nice BIG ironing board for sale there.. I'm going to price it next time in and compare to making my own. They also have oversized board covers.

Power Poster
    check the dimensions of the ironing boards AND the covers - they differ

Blog Entries
    Wonderful suggestions and ideas :D :D :D

Blog Entries
    DH cut me a piece of thick plywood the size I wanted to fit my table. I put one layer of cotton batting and then covered it with cotton canvas. I stapled it tight to the back of the wood. Then I sprayed the cloth with water and let it dry. The water made the batting and cotton cloth shrink and the cover tightened to a very smooth finish. Sharon Schamber showed how to do make the perfect ironing surface doing it this way. A soft surface is not a quilter's friend.

Power Poster
    I like the removable covers that I can wash - mine gets scorchy marks and water marks and linty - especially if I've been cutting dark fabrics

maybe the rest of you are neater?

I hesitate to mention that it also gets furry once in a while, :-)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have the directions for a big ironing board top that fits on top of your ironing board. My ironing board is about 15 yrs old,waltmart bought all metal. The board is kinda heavy but I have never had any problems with it falling or wobbling. It fits snuggly,my DBI made it for me. It also has the directions on the cover and what to do. If any one is interested
    Please PM me.
    As you can see I did not use the directions on how to make my cover look really neat. :lol:
    BillsBonBon

last one
    Name:  Attachment-37262.jpe
Views: 184
Size:  34.7 KB

Here are pics.
    Name:  Attachment-37541.jpe
Views: 187
Size:  31.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bellaboo wrote>
    DH cut me a piece of thick plywood the size I wanted to fit my table. I put one layer of cotton batting and then covered it with cotton canvas. I stapled it tight to the back of the wood. Then I sprayed the cloth with water and let it dry. The water made the batting and cotton cloth shrink and the cover tightened to a very smooth finish. Sharon Schamber showed how to do make the perfect ironing surface doing it this way. A soft surface is not a quilter's friend.
    yep this is what I did and mine works great!

this is me doing the happy dance!

i will definitely try that before i rip mine apart and recover it.

Power Poster
    to keep my cover tight - I safety pin three pieces elastic to the edges - I pass the elastic under the ironing board

makes it awkward to remove the big board, but it keeps the cloth cover tight

I use my Big Board right on the bed. It was a splurge purchase at a quilt show and I've never had a minute's regret. I've also set it up on my ironing board to serve as a buffet table and/or a bar when we've had company. Well worth the price, and if you can find someone to make one for you, even better.

:lol: :lol: i never thought of it as furniture LOL! good idea :lol: :lol:

I have a really big box that I tend to toss on the big table and use it to press the finished tops if they are too big for the ironing board. I find it works for me and then I just toss it back in the corner.

Blog Entries
    I saw that too but didn't want to spend that much money. Fortunately, hubby is a retired construction worker so I gave him my design and he built me an ironing table for about $25. Then I spent another $20 for the covering and now I have a very sturdy 24 x 72 ironing table. If anyone is interested in details, let me know. I can put some basic instructions together.

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    Or one that is attached to the wall and folds down when needed and back flat against the wall out of the way when not in use. Sort of a Murphy board. You are probably too young to know what that means.

Murphy's have come back into use, don't you watch HGTV while quilting? lol lol I do so well remember an Aunt had a Murphy in the 50's that she would drop for us to sleep on when we went to visit. Gosh, it's good to have memories.

Hugs,
    Sharon

sharon, what's a memory. i forgot. :roll:

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by vickig626
    I saw that too but didn't want to spend that much money. Fortunately, hubby is a retired construction worker so I gave him my design and he built me an ironing table for about $25. Then I spent another $20 for the covering and now I have a very sturdy 24 x 72 ironing table. If anyone is interested in details, let me know. I can put some basic instructions together.
    Sounds like awesome board. It's HUGE.

The nice thing about making one's own is that the size can be adapted to what works for you. And it is much less costly.

My hubby COULD have made it, but I wanted it THEN, not "someday."

i tried the spray - dry method and for now it really worked. but i consider it a temporary fix because it will stretch every time i use it, won't it? i think i'll go ahead and get the silver stuff.

I have never even heard of that, what a fabulous idea!!!!!!!! I wish I had space to have that in my house, but not right now. I can't even get my chair to my sewing table without moving my bed! lol Haven't done much sewing this year at all. sigh

Made mine out of plywood. Turned the ironing board upside down on the plywood and drew around it to know where to screw four pieces of wood (tip and end and one on each side. The wood is about 1/2" thick X 1-1/2" wide. Then covered with 80/20 batting with heavyweight muslin or lightweight canvas on top and stapled it onto the underneath side of the plywood pulling it firm as I went. I've used it for over 10 years, taken it to retreat several times. It is a little heavy to pack around especially up out of the basement. I think it didn't need to use 3/4" plywood. 1/2" OSB board would probably have been better. But I love it.

My DH made mine the same way you made yours. It is on an OLD wooden ironing board I got from my m-i-l. I cover it with a double layer of muslin and some thin batting inside and then I put tacks in to hold it down. They come out easier than staples, which I can't seem to get through the wood, when I want to wash the muslin. LOVE IT!

Chris G.
    aka busiacam

Your board looks very much like mine..2'x4'......hubby made mine and we got two boards from one 4'x8' piece of 1/4" plywood..friends had to have one also after seeing mine.

I covered it with the insulated batting and then a cover of warm & natural batting..finally made a muslin cover with pull string so it can be taken off for washing. We used the board while fusing a project and the fusing got on the cover....
    thank goodness for the removable cover.

Hubby made one that we will chance off at my Florida guild to make a bit of money for a charity project.

can't quilt without it. mj

I have to chime in on this. From a lady who doesn't like to iron because I do a crummy job, this big board is a dream come true!!! You can iron anything well with it. The trick is the large space. I have a friend who came by after I got mine set up and she tried ironing with it and ended up ironing every single piece that was cut out for a large quilt. Mine is set on top a regular inexpensive ironing board that I bought at KMart. I keep it up all the time and my ironing board is none the worse for it. You will be so happy that you made this purchase.

Blog Entries
    Heres my homemade one....I needed the storage and its always full :D
    I sometimes even use it to cut out my blocks
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think I will have my husband make me one! Good Idea!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast