big board ironing board top >

big board ironing board top

big board ironing board top

Old 07-16-2009, 05:55 AM

sharon, what's a memory. i forgot. :roll:
Old 07-16-2009, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vickig626
I saw that too but didn't want to spend that much money. Fortunately, hubby is a retired construction worker so I gave him my design and he built me an ironing table for about $25. Then I spent another $20 for the covering and now I have a very sturdy 24 x 72 ironing table. If anyone is interested in details, let me know. I can put some basic instructions together.
Sounds like awesome board. It's HUGE.

The nice thing about making one's own is that the size can be adapted to what works for you. And it is much less costly.

My hubby COULD have made it, but I wanted it THEN, not "someday."

Old 07-16-2009, 08:30 AM

DH cut me a piece of thick plywood the size I wanted to fit my table. I put one layer of cotton batting and then covered it with cotton canvas. I stapled it tight to the back of the wood. Then I sprayed the cloth with water and let it dry. The water made the batting and cotton cloth shrink and the cover tightened to a very smooth finish. Sharon Schamber showed how to do make the perfect ironing surface doing it this way. A soft surface is not a quilter's friend.
i tried the spray - dry method and for now it really worked. but i consider it a temporary fix because it will stretch every time i use it, won't it? i think i'll go ahead and get the silver stuff.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:32 AM

I have never even heard of that, what a fabulous idea!!!!!!!! I wish I had space to have that in my house, but not right now. I can't even get my chair to my sewing table without moving my bed! lol Haven't done much sewing this year at all. sigh
Old 07-16-2009, 08:54 AM

Made mine out of plywood. Turned the ironing board upside down on the plywood and drew around it to know where to screw four pieces of wood (tip and end and one on each side. The wood is about 1/2" thick X 1-1/2" wide. Then covered with 80/20 batting with heavyweight muslin or lightweight canvas on top and stapled it onto the underneath side of the plywood pulling it firm as I went. I've used it for over 10 years, taken it to retreat several times. It is a little heavy to pack around especially up out of the basement. I think it didn't need to use 3/4" plywood. 1/2" OSB board would probably have been better. But I love it.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:59 AM

My DH made mine the same way you made yours. It is on an OLD wooden ironing board I got from my m-i-l. I cover it with a double layer of muslin and some thin batting inside and then I put tacks in to hold it down. They come out easier than staples, which I can't seem to get through the wood, when I want to wash the muslin. LOVE IT!

Chris G.
aka busiacam
Old 07-16-2009, 03:53 PM

Your board looks very much like mine..2'x4'......hubby made mine and we got two boards from one 4'x8' piece of 1/4" plywood..friends had to have one also after seeing mine.

I covered it with the insulated batting and then a cover of warm & natural batting..finally made a muslin cover with pull string so it can be taken off for washing. We used the board while fusing a project and the fusing got on the cover....
thank goodness for the removable cover.

Hubby made one that we will chance off at my Florida guild to make a bit of money for a charity project.

can't quilt without it. mj
Old 07-17-2009, 02:45 PM

I have to chime in on this. From a lady who doesn't like to iron because I do a crummy job, this big board is a dream come true!!! You can iron anything well with it. The trick is the large space. I have a friend who came by after I got mine set up and she tried ironing with it and ended up ironing every single piece that was cut out for a large quilt. Mine is set on top a regular inexpensive ironing board that I bought at KMart. I keep it up all the time and my ironing board is none the worse for it. You will be so happy that you made this purchase.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:39 AM

Heres my homemade one....I needed the storage and its always full :D
I sometimes even use it to cut out my blocks
Attached Thumbnails attachment-19956.jpe  
Old 07-18-2009, 06:29 AM

I think I will have my husband make me one! Good Idea!