Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
BIG boo boo >

BIG boo boo

BIG boo boo

Old 07-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Banned

Lint roller is what I use. Definitely wouldn't wash an unquilted top, because you're just looking for your edges to fray.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by eparys
To heck with the lint roller - get some wide packing tape - make a large loop sticky side out around your hand and "pat" away. It is MUCH stickier than a lint roller (now you wonder why I know this . . . LOL) and works so much quicker and easier (at least for me).

Before you "rip out" next time - I have found if you have loops on the back, if you clip the back thread once where it goes around the curves - the piece of backing thread pulls out easily. Then the top thread is not held down and it too pulls out in a long strand.

Sorry - Good Luck!
Good tip, thanks for sharing this information.
It will come in handy sometime.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

Static build up in the bobbin will cause lots of loops and birdnesting. I started using the Bobbin Genies and they work! Sharon Schamber at a class said they were a must for her machine quilting. When I have to pick out quilting stitches and have all those little threads to remove I just take a deep breath and relax and get it done.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:00 AM

Same thing happened to me and I took the backing off and turned it around as I had tons of backing fabric that wouldn't be used. This saved me more time that a lint roller cause if your lint roller isn't sticky enough you still have to pull the threads out.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by eparys
Before you "rip out" next time - I have found if you have loops on the back, if you clip the back thread once where it goes around the curves - the piece of backing thread pulls out easily. Then the top thread is not held down and it too pulls out in a long strand.
what a great hint!!
:thumbup:
Old 07-21-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Static build up in the bobbin will cause lots of loops and birdnesting. I started using the Bobbin Genies and they work! Sharon Schamber at a class said they were a must for her machine quilting. When I have to pick out quilting stitches and have all those little threads to remove I just take a deep breath and relax and get it done.
Yep I use them too, and clean the bobbin case every bobbin change. My machine sometimes just hates me. and sometimes I hate her too!~ I had thought we were getting along that day but obviously I was wrong.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

don't throw your unbound-unquilted top into the wash! you will really create a mess- you can use a lint roller- or masking tape to help remove the little threads.
wait until it is quilted and bound- then wash it.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:26 AM

I used duct tape when it happened to me. It is much stickier than other tapes
Old 07-21-2011, 11:10 AM

I thought of that...duct tape is the stickiest. If I had laundered it I would have serged the edges first. But, I'm going the tape route. I will launder it after quilting and binding as there are lots of needles holes to be closed up.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:34 AM

I was having the intermitten eyelash problem on the back and couldn't figure out why. I started doing research and found out that when you thread your machine, you need to be sure the presser foot is UP so the thread can get properly seated between the discs. I have made sure ever since and have not had the problem again.

Also, when removing the bad quilting, I also, as stated above, snipped and pulled out the bottom thread which left the top thread easy to remove...and there were yards and yards of it.