Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Big Oops

At that point I'd say it was just... artistic liberty? LOL. Let it go. If it took you, the maker that much to see the mistake, I doubt anyone else will. I'm sure the quilt is gorgeous! And I'm VERY sure it will be appreciated no matter what.
    “Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.” ~Scott Adams

Piecefully,
    Lisa

I did the same thing when making a signature quilt for a friend's church. Made 2 new squares and applicated them on top of the ones going the wrong way. Did some faux quilting on the top so it would match the rest. No ever knew they were there.

Peni

Just go with it. No one will notice it unless you tell them.

Blog Entries
    This is just my response to doing the same thing to a quilt I made for my sister. I had finished hand quilting the quilt but hadn't put on the binding yet when I noticed my mistake. I knew this would bother me for the rest of my life if I did not fix it so I took out the hand quilting, took out the patch, rotated it and appliqued it back in and re-handquilted it! I knew I wanted my sister to have the best quilt I could make!!! So, really it is up to you how you feel about it!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

Blog Entries
    I would not change it now. My quilting mentor, Hollie, told me, "nobody will see it and if they do they probably won't understand. Go on and finish it and do better next time. Only the quilt police would cause a scene and you know what we think about them
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

I went back to your post of the picture of this quilt and I certainly can't see it in that picture.

my vote is to leave it, the only perfect one is God. Your DSIL will be so pleased with it she won't even notice and she will love you for taking the time to make her a quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    I went back to your post of the picture of this quilt and I certainly can't see it in that picture.
    It was the side of the first row which is not seen in the picture. I decided that I will applique over the two oopsies when I finish quilting the rest of the quilt. Off the frame I will be able to baste the corrected HST in place and then quilt it to match the rest of the quilting. I will feel so much better about it. Thank you all for your comments. I thought about leaving it as is and just can't. It will haunt me
    Helen T.

Since you checked it over several times, put it on the frame to quilt and had started to quilt before you noticed it then it is not noticeble at all so leave it and don't tell anyone. It will look beautiful
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

Non-quilters won't notice. Just go with it and don't tell them you goofed. They will never know.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie View Post
    As someone told me today....if your galloping by on horseback would it be noticeable? If no leave it If yes then fix it!!
    That's too funny. One of my very good friends says that all the time, but I've never heard anyone else until now.
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

..my modern equivalent of riding past on horseback is to take my glasses off - does the quilt look OK in soft focus? If so, it'll do!

I think every quilt I've made has some OOPS somewhere. But I'm not perfect even though my DD says my projects look perfect to her. I agree with so many here.... if you didn't notice it before you put it on your frame, others won't even see it.

Blog Entries
    for the block you want to replace you can make another square and hand applique it right on top and after its quilted it will not be able to tell

About 5 yrs ago I made a version of an Irish Chain and after it came back from the quilter I realized that I have made a mistake and turned a block wrong. The quilt was for my DD and she loved the quilt even with the mistake. I really had forgotten about the block until recently my 10 yr. old grand daughter took me to the bed room and showed me the mistake. It happened to be almost in the middle of the bed. Quite embarresing for a 10 yr. old to point out your mistakes.
    Lorraine

I did not see a picture - but I think I would fix it by hand.

Blog Entries
    You realy don't think this quilt is unacceptable as a gift now, do you? If you don't mention it or draw attention to it no one wil notice and it they do, they really won't care. They will have received a beautiful quilt from you. That is way more important than two mis placed triangles. Perspective! IMHO
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I wouldn't touch it either. It doesn't sound like a blatant mistake. A non-quilter will most likely never notice, but remember something else. The Amish purposely put an error in every quilt because they believe no one is perfect but God. Something to ponder, huh? I personally think the mistakes are a lovely reminder of the person who made it.
    "Worry is about doing something you can do nothing about."

I'm fascinated by how the replies in this thread split between "don't bother - no-one will notice, the quilt will still be loved, and no-one's perfect" and "do something about it because it'll drive you crazy if you don't fix it". Really reflects how different we all are in our ability to tolerate errors! I've moved from one to the other - when I started quilting I picked up that I was supposed to aim for perfection, and it often made me very miserable. Since then I've relaxed a lot more, and as long as I know that I've done my best, I can forgive myself my mistakes, and take the view that I learn from them.
    But it would be a dull world if we were all the same!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2