Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Big Problem NEED HELP >

Big Problem NEED HELP

Big Problem NEED HELP

Old 04-29-2013, 04:30 AM

Have collected bits and pieces of vintage material over the years, can't pass it up..the other day I purchased seven vintage blks sewn by hand...beautiful..I'm in process of making matching squares. Never pieced by hand, but I love it...quilt will be whatever size I have enough material to use. I feel like the original quilter is watching and smiling..material looks to be late 20's ..when finished..will post picture.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:13 AM

Welcome to our boards, you will find the friendliest most helpful folks in the world. I cannot add anything different than the others and wish you luck in repairing this quilt.

I too am in AZ, 101 & Camelback near the stadiums in Glendale.

I have not been on the boards much lately as my DH was in a very serious M/C accident, and I have been spending all my time at the hospital with him. But things have begun to smooth out and now I can get back to my daily dose of the quilting boards I enjoy so much.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:28 AM

I am so sorry about your husband, Amythyst, I hope he will recover completely.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:30 AM

Amazing how much we quilters tolerate to 'save' a quilt, and it's usually for someone else. A couple years ago, a gal asked me to FIX a baby quilt that her daughter's grandmother made for her and wanted to use it for her new daughter. When she washed it, most of the ties were gone and the batting bunched up. I took it apart, laid it out with new batting; brought forward the backing that she had used for the binding and pretty well matched up the holes from the old ties and retied it. Also restitched some of of the Care Bear blocks seams. That wasn't nearly as bad as the three hours it took to rip out the grandmother's very small machine stitches she used on the 'binding'. Whew! I invested almost $10. for the batting and she sent me $30. ($20. for my labor, not realizing what we quilters go through). Never again will I accept to FIX someone elses quilt. Thanks for sharing your thread.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:33 AM

You are lucky, I bought my Janome from Mulqueen's a year ago, and love 35th AV Sew and Vac - they have so many fabrics, but it is a little far from me. I usually go to AZ Quilts at 99th AV and Beardsley - the women at Sun Valley quilts in Sun City are too grumpy.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Marsh View Post
You are lucky, I bought my Janome from Mulqueen's a year ago, and love 35th AV Sew and Vac - they have so many fabrics, but it is a little far from me. I usually go to AZ Quilts at 99th AV and Beardsley - the women at Sun Valley quilts in Sun City are too grumpy.
One of the ladies in my quilt group lives near AZ Quilts so I go there whenever I visit her. And unfortunately, you are correct about Sun Valley Quilts. I don't shop there any more.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:57 AM

Thanks about the tip for the batting - I'll do that rather than using warm and natural.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 View Post
This thread is very interesting. I was approached by a lady who had a quilt her mother had made, probably more than fifty years ago. It was a variation of a grandmother's flower garden as the motifs were not round but oblong flowers. It was all scrappy but the fabrics were of different weights etc. The background fabric was white pique. You know the stuff we used to have dresses made of in the sixties and seventies. It is a whole lot thicker than regular cotton fabric. I thought I could do something with it until I really started studying the quilt. I think at least half if not more of the six sided pieces would have to be replaced. Mixing old and new fabric usually doesn't turn out well. I will admit that I still have the quilt and am secretly hoping that the owner will pass away or forget about it entirely. I am to chicken to admit that I can't do anything with it. The second concern is that if I do attempt to replace all of those pieces she would not be willing to begin to pay me for my time and frustration.
Oh mpspeedy2, please don't hang on to her quilt. That would be so sad if she didn't get it back, maybe she has children who would cherish it just the way it is. It is ok to admit you don't have the passion it will take to get this fixed and then just gracefully return it to her. That's better than just hanging on to it.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:39 AM

I have found that the older fabrics from the 70's were poly/cotton! And yes, they do stretch! your best bet is to measure across the middle and then across the middle of the down side. Create a muslin lining for it and attach it to the muslin with your sewing machine and lots of safety pins to hold it for you. If you have a seam which is beginning to frey then top stitch it down. If you can hide your stitching in the ditch that would be best but if a block/triangle needs repairs do it with the muslin backing on. Then add your borders or whatever. I have had to "remake" alot of my own quilts from that era. That was the beginning when we realized we needed 100% Excellent quality cottons for quilts! Good luck!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:45 AM

After reading all the posts I am sinfully jealous! I am from AZ and now live in Idaho near my daughter...100 miles from the nearest WalMart!

FYI, while living in the Seattle area my daughters sister-in-law brought me a quilt made out of nylon tricot that was her baby quilt. As I inspected it, there were a few holes in it, and told her I could repair it but where/who made this quilt. She told me her parents had lived in my hometown of Yuma and a woman from church named Grandma Butler gave it to her and helped take care of her mother. Well....I began to cry...that is "my" Grandma Butler! I knew she had made many tricot quilts back then. What a joy it was to repair a quilt my grandmother had made 28 years earlier 2000 miles away! It was a joy.