Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Big shot pro question? >

Big shot pro question?

Big shot pro question?

Old 11-21-2013, 09:00 AM

Default Big shot pro question?

Can anyone please advise me about which dies to purchase for this piece of equipment. I had one delivered today but as far as I can make out there are none included in the package. Naive perhaps but I had expected something basic to be included. I've looked online but tbh I'm not really sure what it is I'm looking for. For instance I came across one strip die which I thought might be useful but it mentioned requiring extended cutting pads. They all seem to be so expensive! I thought this might take away the more tedious task of cutting individual strips while ensuring uniform sizes. I'm sure its simple to use () but at what cost!
Old 11-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

You need to look for Sizzix quilting dies. Here's a link to the Sizzix site, but you can probably find the dies at other resellers:
http://www.sizzix.com/shop/sizzixquilting

Yes, you will need to match the size of the cutting pads to the dies.
Go! dies are thinner so you would need some sort of a shim to use them in this cutter. Don't know if they make an adaptor or not.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 11-21-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

A couple of years ago I looked into getting a cutter. By the time I added up the cost and the dies I thought I might want it was going to be very costly. I decided I could cut pieces much cheaper.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:36 PM

I use Go! dies. I leave the Sizzix cutting pad on the tray then put a couple pieces of 8x10 poster board paper I bought at the dollar store on top then the Go! die. Perfect cuts. The strip cutters need the extended pad and trays but any of the regular Go! dies will work in the Big Shot.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:56 PM

You should be able to use any dies other than some of the larger studio dies. I use sizzix and go dies in mine.

I use flat rate envelopes to shim mine.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:14 PM

Thank you. I gulped then ordered the extended bits the 2.5 strip die, a circle, a butterfly and 3" sq. I guess the strip die can also be used to make 2.5 sqs and at least guarantee two sides of some rectangles will be straight! I guess its something that can be added to over time but if I'd been a bit wiser and done proper research prior to purchase I think I might've stuck with the rotary cutter!
Old 11-21-2013, 04:15 PM

I love my strip dies.

i recently made a round the world quilt and needed to cut 200 1 1/2" strips.... By hand it would have taken ages and I would have made mistakes... With the die it took minutes and I had perfect cuts every time....

It is worth getting the strip dies if you can afford them.

hugs

Caroline
Old 11-21-2013, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj View Post
I love my strip dies.

i recently made a round the world quilt and needed to cut 200 1 1/2" strips.... By hand it would have taken ages and I would have made mistakes... With the die it took minutes and I had perfect cuts every time....

It is worth getting the strip dies if you can afford them.

hugs

Caroline

I've been thinking about making a strip quilt with all my scraps and it was the thought of all the cutting that spurred me on to buy it. I do think though that just under £500 is an awful lot to pay out. I will just have to make sure I cut thousands of strips to justify having it. I do a bit of appliqué, I really enjoy doing that so I'm hoping that I will be able to be a bit more adventurous than I have been so far. I have tried cutting four layers at one time with the rotary cutter but find the bottom one is rarely a true match of the top one.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:05 PM

Do you all use your die cutters to cut squares (e.g., layer cakes, charms) of fabric? Do they work well for fussy-cutting? (My signature baby quilt is an Eye-Spy that uses 80 fussy-cut 4 1/2" squares. I would love to find an easier/faster way to cut all those squares!)
Old 11-22-2013, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by sushi View Post
Do you all use your die cutters to cut squares (e.g., layer cakes, charms) of fabric? Do they work well for fussy-cutting? (My signature baby quilt is an Eye-Spy that uses 80 fussy-cut 4 1/2" squares. I would love to find an easier/faster way to cut all those squares!)
I have the GO and do really like it. Although I have not tried fussy cutting..that might be a bit tricky.....

As far as the cost of dies, cutter.....and how long it would take to "justify" its initial cost...that never was a consideration to me....after all, the cost of most sewing machines are not met using them only once or twice...but its convenience and accuracy certainly justify its cost...in my mind same logic applied to my purchase of cutter and dies....