Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
big spools of thread ...dumb question? >

big spools of thread ...dumb question?

big spools of thread ...dumb question?

Old 06-01-2011, 02:44 PM

If it is the size of the large spools / cones available from Connecting Threads like this http://www.connectingthreads.com/thr...__L600905.html

mine works perfectly well on the thread pin but I put a skinny spool like a sulky on it first and fit the large opened cone on top of it ,,

voila nothing special. Oh and I put a piece of flannel with hole in it on the thread pin under the spools of thread. I do that for all my spools no matter the size, it seems to make the spool spin better.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:47 PM

Mason jars, mason jars, mason jars. Most of the large spools fit in Mason Jars. I take the top off, take it apart, put the ring back on, insert the cone/larger spool of thread and off I go.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:52 PM

Here's a recent thread

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-123693-1.htm
Old 06-01-2011, 03:20 PM

My machine has a separate bobbin winding capability which is great as I am able to add a spool of thread and wind a bobbin while I continue to sew as in no un threading and re threading all the time. The machine my parents bought me for Christmas last year though does not have the automatic bobbin winding so has to be done the regular way, un thread wind the bobbin and then rethread. So silly of Janome to make a better machine in one respect but then not keep this aspect of it.

Maybe1day
Old 06-01-2011, 03:22 PM

I have two plastic cone stands from Joann's, and a heavy-duty metal one (like one pictured above - don't remember where I got it). I have been using cone thread for years for sewing everything and for embroidery (if the color fits my needs) - I don't do embroidery for competitions. I have had very good luck with it. There was twice (over the years) when I had a cone where someone had knotted the thread somewhere in the winding (at the factory) and that broke, but other than that - have had beautiful luck with cone thread for everything. Love it and its prices.

Marysewfun
Old 06-01-2011, 03:47 PM

I use a 2 quart wide mouth mason jar to put the thread in and sit it behind my sewing machine. I twist (just once) the thread around the spool holder where a normal size spool would be sitting. I have numerous sewing machines and find that it works better on some than others - just have to test before sewing to much.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:12 PM

I only use cones of thread. Don't buy serger thread however. My Janome 6600 has a holder that accommodates cones, but otherwise on other machines I use a metal base thread stand. I got mine from superiorthreads.com and I use their thread all the time (So Fine). Cones are much more economical. However, if I need a colored thread which is rare, I do buy Coats and Clark or Gutterman at Joanns. I usually just stick with the neutrals on the cones.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:32 PM

I have three handmade cone holders, thanks to my crafty husband. I like the one shown by my Janome 9000 machine the best but they all work fine.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-205305.jpe   attachment-205306.jpe   attachment-205307.jpe  
Old 06-01-2011, 04:33 PM

You can probably get this at JoAnns. It is a plastic base where the spool sits toward the back of the machine. It has a metal wire that is around a foot high with a hook on the end of it and this is where you feed your thread thru. This is just above your machine and works very well. I have one on each machine. You can also find this notion in some of the sewinfg catalogs. I'm pretty sure Nancy's notions has them too, or also Clotildes. Good luck!
Old 06-01-2011, 04:37 PM

Yes, you sure can. I have a Pfaff Varimatic 6085 and I bought a cone holder, spent way too much on it, and it works like a dream. Some day I'll learn, but I doubt it. I have gotten some terrific deals on the large spools so I guess I made up for the fancy dancy spool holder.