Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
big spools of thread ...dumb question? >

big spools of thread ...dumb question?

big spools of thread ...dumb question?

Old 06-01-2011, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB
I have three handmade cone holders, thanks to my crafty husband. I like the one shown by my Janome 9000 machine the best but they all work fine.
Now that is the very best I've seen! Way to go. Does your hubby make housecalls?
Betty
Old 06-01-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Joan
This certainly a reassuring place to hang out....

I always wondered the same thing about those big spools of thread and now feel reassured if I do buy some I don't have to buy some other gadget for my machine....

Thanks for all of your replies! :mrgreen:
I'm glad this question was asked to. I have always thought that with certain colors it might be more economical to purchase the cones but I thought they were for sergers. Now I know you can adapt them for a regular machine. Thanks for asking and thanks for the replys.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB
I have three handmade cone holders, thanks to my crafty husband. I like the one shown by my Janome 9000 machine the best but they all work fine.
Just showed my husband what your husband made for you and he is going to make one for me. Thank you so much for a great idea and for sharing.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:05 PM

Plenty of creative ideas being posted. Wow! :-D
Old 06-01-2011, 05:10 PM

I use a quart jar that is right next to my machine. Works wonderfully!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:32 PM

Use your Joann's coupon and get yourself an inexpensive thread cone holder. You will be glad you did.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:01 PM

Greetings fellow Canadian, Looks like you've gotten plenty of good advice. I use the big cones all the time, the advantage being mostly is that you get a better price on thread, rather than buying umpteen small spools of thread. Especially for piecework where you are usually using a neutral taupe or grey. Buy yourself a weighted metal cone stand, and before you start your piecework, fill 3 or 4 bobbins, and you are probably good to go through your whole quilt top. Take care, Auntie B from Saskatchewan, Canada.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:21 PM

I taped a safety pin to the side of my sewing machine for a thread guide and just set the huge spool of thread right next to the machine....it works just great and didn't take any money or time to do. Good luck. I love using the huge spools of thread.

Originally Posted by Claddaughquilting
I see large spools of thread for sale, usually at a good price. I have a regular home sewing machine (Husqvarna 750) and I don't know how I would use a big cone of thread, because I don't think it would fit (?) Can these be used on home sewing machines?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:57 PM

I just got some huge spools of thread off EBAY that cost 6.95 plus shipping. She sent 3 in a flat rate box for 4.95. I think I will order from her again. the spools are big enough and heavy to stand by themselves and I have never run across any cheap thread as in not good to sew with. I find that it costs less for them than all the small spools you buy at $2 for very little. I also buy the cones at Joann's when they are on sale for 5 for 10.00. I get some neutral colors that I don't have. I think I am almost set for life, except I have donated some to the kids in AL. Also sent some to some others that needed something.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:59 PM

My daughter brought me about twenty spools of the big thread, and the adapter I made for my 1960 singer machine worked fine. Howere the new machine I brought don't have a spindel long enough to fit. I brought the plastic thread holder from Joanns, and of course was put off by its light weigth and inability to stand up when I'm winding bobbins. I thought about it and it was as simple as velcro dots for general use. Two grippers behind where my machines set, and two loops on the stand. Because the thread goes up through the bend it works for all three types of home machines made in the years 1955, 2000, and 2007. There are also the steel spool trees, use on industrial sewing machines, like the one sitting in my basement doing nothing, but it was too tall for my home machines. You can get them on line. From what I have seen in advertisment of machine for quilters, they are getting pretty high, and one of them might work.