Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
big spools of thread ...dumb question? >

big spools of thread ...dumb question?

big spools of thread ...dumb question?

Old 05-31-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by jillaine
I have not found that the quality of the thread on these larger, inexpensive spools is good enough for regular sewing. My understanding is that this is thread for surgers/surging, and where quality is not as critical, perhaps? (I dunno, I don't surge... not with a machine anyway, yuk yuk...)

I bought a few of these from my LQS and was immediately disappointed when I started threading my machine for standard sewing.
Thanks jillaine-I have only found the ones for surgers also and always wondered what would happen if I used it for my quilting on the Bernina sewing machine? I bought one of the larger spools of thread (not the big cone) from Joanns but was hesitant to continue to use it. When I pulled the thread there was no resistence and it snapped easy. I don't want for it not hold up on the quilt after a few years or even a few washings!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:11 AM

Seems like I remember a discussion about why serger thread isn't good for piecing and quilting, but I have seen regular cotton thread on large spools and cones I think..

found one:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-102361-1.htm
Old 05-31-2011, 08:14 AM

I bought a pretty flower pot at the dollar tree. Just drop in the large spool, and pull the thread around the spool holder on my machine. Havent had any problems
Old 05-31-2011, 08:14 AM

yes, I use large cones with my machine. A regular sears sewing machine. My DH built me a cone stand which works great. You can also buy them, as others have mentioned
Old 05-31-2011, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jillaine
I have not found that the quality of the thread on these larger, inexpensive spools is good enough for regular sewing. My understanding is that this is thread for surgers/surging, and where quality is not as critical, perhaps? (I dunno, I don't surge... not with a machine anyway, yuk yuk...)

I bought a few of these from my LQS and was immediately disappointed when I started threading my machine for standard sewing.
No, you can buy the "good" thread on the large cones too. Connecting Threads, Superior Threads, Metro Embroidery - these all have them. I use a heavy metal thread stand that I got from Superior at a quilt show for about $12. Most longarms also use thread on the large cones.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by ann31039
I bought a pretty flower pot at the dollar tree. Just drop in the large spool, and pull the thread around the spool holder on my machine. Havent had any problems
hmmm.. this got me thinking... If you turned the pot upside down and put the cone inside and used the hole in the bottom to thread the thread through it wouldn't collect as much dust and lint... and if you made a loop on the bottom of a wire the same size as the hole you might be able to attach it with a rubber grommet...
Old 05-31-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
Fortunately I can wind my bobbin without unthreading my machine so it's really handy having the large spools.
Really, how cool is that?!! I didn't know there was such a thing.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
Fortunately I can wind my bobbin without unthreading my machine so it's really handy having the large spools.
Really, how cool is that?!! I didn't know there was such a thing.
My Bernina has this feature. Only thing is, if you need to fill the bobbin from the spool that you are sewing with, you will still have to unthread the machine and thread it again when you're done. I always fill a bunch of bobbins when I start.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
You can buy an adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-R-Cone-T.../dp/B0019KDYL2

And there was talk recently here about a little machine where you can rewind the thread from cones onto spools so it's easily usable on your domestic machine. The name is right at the tip of my tongue ......?!??!?!?

Some people just put the cone in a mug behind the machine - I've had limited success with that method.

eta: Found it - the EZ Winder Kit
http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?prod_id=7349
Here's the recent thread (hehehe):
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-115374-1.htm
I have this EZ-winder - works great!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

My machine I use most of th time has a spool holder for cones of thread.