Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: big spools of thread ...dumb question?

I use a spool holder that I keep on the side of my machine. It is great for large spools. I don't even use the spool pin on the machine. Even when using the regular gutterman spools I still use the spool holder on the side.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    I didn't find the plastic cone holder at all up to the job, now I have two metal ones (one for each machine) I wind several bobbins before I start when I am going to be quilting. The chief advantage is cost. I got five cones yesterday, each with 5000 metres on it (longer than 5000 yards) and they cost 3.50 each, (about $5.00 each.)
    I have the one from Connecting Threads. The base is metal and much heavier and sturdier than the less expensive plastic one. It's probably the same as yours.
    http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...d__D81905.html

But look at this pretty one:
    http://www.connectingthreads.com/Too...r__D71253.HTML ;-)

Blog Entries
    Do yourself a favor and buy the pretty one. You won't regret the purchase.

Blog Entries
    I have not found that the quality of the thread on these larger, inexpensive spools is good enough for regular sewing. My understanding is that this is thread for surgers/surging, and where quality is not as critical, perhaps? (I dunno, I don't surge... not with a machine anyway, yuk yuk...)

I bought a few of these from my LQS and was immediately disappointed when I started threading my machine for standard sewing.

I use them with my Viking all the time. Like others, both the plastic thread stand at Joanns. Think it was about $5. Works just dandy for me. Fortunately I can wind my bobbin without unthreading my machine so it's really handy having the large spools.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jillaine
    I have not found that the quality of the thread on these larger, inexpensive spools is good enough for regular sewing. My understanding is that this is thread for surgers/surging, and where quality is not as critical, perhaps? (I dunno, I don't surge... not with a machine anyway, yuk yuk...)

I bought a few of these from my LQS and was immediately disappointed when I started threading my machine for standard sewing.
    Thanks jillaine-I have only found the ones for surgers also and always wondered what would happen if I used it for my quilting on the Bernina sewing machine? I bought one of the larger spools of thread (not the big cone) from Joanns but was hesitant to continue to use it. When I pulled the thread there was no resistence and it snapped easy. I don't want for it not hold up on the quilt after a few years or even a few washings!

Seems like I remember a discussion about why serger thread isn't good for piecing and quilting, but I have seen regular cotton thread on large spools and cones I think..

found one:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-102361-1.htm

I bought a pretty flower pot at the dollar tree. Just drop in the large spool, and pull the thread around the spool holder on my machine. Havent had any problems

yes, I use large cones with my machine. A regular sears sewing machine. My DH built me a cone stand which works great. You can also buy them, as others have mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by jillaine

No, you can buy the "good" thread on the large cones too. Connecting Threads, Superior Threads, Metro Embroidery - these all have them. I use a heavy metal thread stand that I got from Superior at a quilt show for about $12. Most longarms also use thread on the large cones.

Quote Originally Posted by ann31039
    I bought a pretty flower pot at the dollar tree. Just drop in the large spool, and pull the thread around the spool holder on my machine. Havent had any problems
    hmmm.. this got me thinking... If you turned the pot upside down and put the cone inside and used the hole in the bottom to thread the thread through it wouldn't collect as much dust and lint... and if you made a loop on the bottom of a wire the same size as the hole you might be able to attach it with a rubber grommet...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
    Fortunately I can wind my bobbin without unthreading my machine so it's really handy having the large spools.
    Really, how cool is that?!! I didn't know there was such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
    Fortunately I can wind my bobbin without unthreading my machine so it's really handy having the large spools.
    Really, how cool is that?!! I didn't know there was such a thing.
    My Bernina has this feature. Only thing is, if you need to fill the bobbin from the spool that you are sewing with, you will still have to unthread the machine and thread it again when you're done. I always fill a bunch of bobbins when I start.

Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    You can buy an adapter:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-R-Cone-T.../dp/B0019KDYL2

And there was talk recently here about a little machine where you can rewind the thread from cones onto spools so it's easily usable on your domestic machine. The name is right at the tip of my tongue ......?!??!?!?

Some people just put the cone in a mug behind the machine - I've had limited success with that method.

eta: Found it - the EZ Winder Kit
    http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?prod_id=7349
    Here's the recent thread (hehehe):
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-115374-1.htm
    I have this EZ-winder - works great!!!

Blog Entries
    My machine I use most of th time has a spool holder for cones of thread.

Banned
    put it in a saucer behind your machine. Take a large paper clip and open one side and tape it to the back of your machine and thread the thread thru it for a guide.
    Works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    Yes, I made a cone holder out of a block of wood and a dowel rod. You can also buy these. The bought ones are fancy and pretty, mine is plain and simple.:)
    FIL made me one many years ago. Until you can find one or make one you can wind on bobbins and use for top thread that way.

I actually saw that someone cut the top off of a spool that fit their machine and pushed it inside the cone. It worked for them and cost nothing.

You need an extra stand for the thread cone. JoAnn has a cheap one (I think it was under $4,oo), but there is a nice on for $15.oo that you can order from www.redrockthreads.com. It is heavy and won't tip over. (I hope the quoted prices haven't changed too much, I am not that often in the States!)

You can buy or make a large spool holder that you stand behind or next to your machine. Lots of people just sit them inside a coffee mug to prevent them falling over.

Senior Member stitchntimesewing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    You can buy an adapter:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-R-Cone-T.../dp/B0019KDYL2

And there was talk recently here about a little machine where you can rewind the thread from cones onto spools so it's easily usable on your domestic machine. The name is right at the tip of my tongue ......?!??!?!?

Some people just put the cone in a mug behind the machine - I've had limited success with that method.

eta: Found it - the EZ Winder Kit
    http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?prod_id=7349
    Here's the recent thread (hehehe):
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-115374-1.htm

The spool holder in your link is the exact one I have and it works wonderfull. I will never buy a small spool of thread again.

I sanded a short piece of 2X4, bent a piece of hanger in two and drilled little holes for the end. That's where the cone sits. One more hole, inserted another piece of wire hanger there and made a loop on the other end. Been using them for years.

Inside the cone should be a label telling you what the thread is. I find lots of cotton wrapped poly and even some 100% cotton threads. I just make sure to use the same weight in the bobbin and adjust the bobbin and top tension.

Flowerjoy, When I am making a quilt, I go ahead and wind half a dozen bobbins before I start, then I only have to swith them out and not rethread my machine. Hope that helps.

Blog Entries
    The only dumb question is the one that is never asked.

Quote Originally Posted by valve2921
    I hope you get an answer on this. Recently my husband went to a yard sale and brought me home a box full of big spools of thread. I have used them, but don't know enough about that thread to know how versatile it is and feel kinda dumb asking.

Blog Entries
    I always use the large cones of thread when I am sewing/quilting at home. They are also cheaper to buy. I save my smaller spools to take to class or quilt meetings.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast