Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7

Thread: big spools of thread ...dumb question?

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    Yes, I made a cone holder out of a block of wood and a dowel rod. You can also buy these. The bought ones are fancy and pretty, mine is plain and simple.:)
    So did I! For my basic piecing I only use the large spools, waaaaayyyyy cheaper. I usually get ecru and gray and must admit to having white and a cream also. :thumbup:

I've used serger thread many times in quilts, but regular thread for quilting.
    Most of my big cones are embroidery thread and I never use those for quilts.
    Syl

I have used a thread stand which works well. i have also used a fizzy drinks bottle. I cut the base end of put this over the spool of thread and then threaded the thread through where the cap goes. I cut the bottle to the height I want. I originally did this as a cover for a large reel of cream thread to keep it clean. It worked well.

I have a wonderful big cone thread holder that is made by a family owned business in WVA--I have no affiliation with the makers. I highly recommend this product and it is about $5.00 more than the cheap plastic ones you buy at the mega sewing stores. These are made from oak--quite sturdy. About 10 quilters in my stitch group have purchased one and we all love it.
    Info: It's Sew Neat Company
    304-693-7192
    The website it not working at this time (just checked). Tell them the quilters from Madison, AL recommended them.

Most definitely! Hubby made me a thread stand from a block of wood and a wire coat hanger . I just sit the cone of thread on the wood at the top of the wire coat hanger he straightened out he put a little circle that you run the thread thru and over to the machine ,thread your machine as if you had it on your machine .Hope I described it good enough for all to understand.

Just saw the cone stands at Joann's today and they are 6.99.

to MTS
    I have one of these adopters and they work great.I dont buy small spools any more.

Blog Entries
    Got mine at Hancock's , $5.99 and its works great. Plastic but that's ok..

I purchased something at a yard sale yesterday that's used for holding big spools. A block of wood with a metal stem and threader at the top. Cost me $1.00. Hopefully it will work.

Now, if we can only find something larger for the bobbin!

Blog Entries
    I have the Dritz cone holder for one machine. On another machine I use a pint wide mouth canning jar to hold the cone and thread it thru the non pin end (little circle) of a safety pin tape-ed to the back right top of sewing machine. Then thread as normal. Hope this makes sense.....

The Brother QC1000 has the function to wind a bobbin while sewing. LOVE IT! :lol: :oops: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Claddaughquilting
    I see large spools of thread for sale, usually at a good price. I have a regular home sewing machine (Husqvarna 750) and I don't know how I would use a big cone of thread, because I don't think it would fit (?) Can these be used on home sewing machines?
    put them in a bell canning jar on the table behind the machine.It wont fall over and it holds the lg spools nicely.

there's so many diffrent threads...i want and need the big spools, but which ones are ok to use? i found 3000 yard spools at hancocks online...i thnk its from coats and clark and it is called overlock thread or something like that...
    i'm confused!

There are thread stands that you can buy on which to set the cone of thread and run it up to where you would ordinarily put the spool of thread. You wrap it around that spindle and then thread it the rest of the way as you would normally.

I've got two and use one for my embroidery thread and one for sewing thread.

HTH,
    Marcia

By the way, be careful of the quality of the thread. I used to work at a Viking store and they told us to teach and stress that a certain brand of thread would "melt" in the machine so not to use it.

Usually if it is a 100% cotton thread, that is not coated ("mercerized") in some way, it is a good thread to use.

On another question here, someone mentioned that Connecting Threads (www.connectingthreads.com) was having a sale on thread and that looks like its good thread.

HTH,
    Marcia

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7