Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
big spools of thread ...dumb question? >

big spools of thread ...dumb question?

big spools of thread ...dumb question?

Old 06-01-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
Originally Posted by MommaDorian
Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
Fortunately I can wind my bobbin without unthreading my machine so it's really handy having the large spools.
Really, how cool is that?!! I didn't know there was such a thing.
My Bernina has this feature. Only thing is, if you need to fill the bobbin from the spool that you are sewing with, you will still have to unthread the machine and thread it again when you're done. I always fill a bunch of bobbins when I start.
I didn't know there were machines that had to be unthreaded to fill the bobbin!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Claddaughquilting
I see large spools of thread for sale, usually at a good price. I have a regular home sewing machine (Husqvarna 750) and I don't know how I would use a big cone of thread, because I don't think it would fit (?) Can these be used on home sewing machines?
yes you can...and there is a NEW tool out on the market to help you do that without using one of those flimsy thread holders...

it is the "thread stem" from quilter's paradise! They sell for only $3.25 (my price is $2.75) and they are made in the USA....
http://www.quiltersparadiseesc.com/O...Directions.pdf

the only thing I have found is that is you have a cone that is thinning down, place it in a wide mouth jar with marbles at the bottom to keep it from toppling over...
Old 06-01-2011, 05:33 AM

My DH made mine out of a sturdy clothes hanger and it works great for me.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:36 AM

I've been using huge cones of thread on my domestic machine without any problem. At the beginning I used a clean jar that I placed the cone in and then ran the thread up the wall and through a cup hook (at one time I just put a piece of tape over some batting and taped it to the wall to run the thread behind). I just thread the machine normally. I did eventually buy a cone thread holder to set behind the machine. I think the jar idea would work with the large spools, so you could lay them on their side. Good Luck!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by redmadder
I sanded a short piece of 2X4, bent a piece of hanger in two and drilled little holes for the end. That's where the cone sits. One more hole, inserted another piece of wire hanger there and made a loop on the other end. Been using them for years.

Inside the cone should be a label telling you what the thread is. I find lots of cotton wrapped poly and even some 100% cotton threads. I just make sure to use the same weight in the bobbin and adjust the bobbin and top tension.
I use THOUSANDS of yards of cone thread--my favorite is the cotton wrapped poly made by American Threads-----
have no idea if they are still in business, as I bought over 50 full and a bunch of partial15,000 YARD cones when a blouse factory went out of business years ago.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:43 AM

Remember that a lot of these cones you see are for sergers and only 2 ply thread which isn't recommended for piecing or quilting. Buy only thread that is for quilting.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:44 AM

I have a really cheap and easy solution I've been using for years. Thought I'd share it visually:

http://blog.ajpadilla.com/2010/09/11...-thread-stand/
Old 06-01-2011, 05:49 AM

Those big spools of thread usually have a cone shaped center, there are adapters you can buy that fit the inside of them - you just place the adapter on your regular spindle.

My old Brother's spindle broke off and can't be replaced so I use a empty jam jar to hold regular spools of thread, just place the jar behind my machine. It's kind of annoying because it does make a lot of noise so I'm looking to buy an spool holder but not the plastic ones Joann's had.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Rose L
I put mine in a coffee cup and just set it behind my machine, works perfectly!

This is what I do also and I have had no problem with this. I use a Janome MC 3000 and it sews great with the larger spools
Old 06-01-2011, 05:51 AM

I also use a thread cone holder my hubby made when I showed him what I wanted. Try putting your large cone in a cup IN FRONT OF THE MACHINE, threading it around the spool holder up top and the usual way thereon. Should work, you just need to put your machine back a little bit to make room for coffee cup. Takes a long time to use up those large spools,mno need to worry about running out of thread at an important moment.