Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Binder attachment thingy...

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries

Binder attachment thingy...

during a shop hop on Friday I saw an industrial machine with a foot attachment that automatically took 2 1/4 strip binding, pulled it thru a funnel like attachment, folded it perfectly, threaded it under the foot to be sewn front AND back at the same time... This lady literally binded a king size quilt in less than 5 min... I WANT THAT !!!!! anyone have any idea if there is such a thing for NON-commercial machine?? -preferably a PFAFF ..

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Man I never have seen anything like that , but would like to. I want that also. How big was it? Look forward to hearing if anyone else knows about this. Probably cost a lot. Thanks for asking. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Blog Entries
    Sounds wonderful doesn't it. I've never seen anything like that in the Pfaff book of feet, but then who know. I'll be anxious to find out this answer to this.
    Nancy (Go Big Red)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Great things have been done for me,
    and I am filled with joy.

Martelli makes one, it's called the Kwik Bind System and it's just shy of $150. I know it is for 1/2" as opposed to 1/4" binding but you see both sides at the same time. It also comes with a DVD as well as written instructions. I don't have one but have seen it demoed and know people who use it on their machines and love it. As far as I know, it can be used with pretty much any machine.

I have seen one of these and they can work on any machine, I haven't figured out how it wold go around the corners of the quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by masufa View Post
    I have seen one of these and they can work on any machine, I haven't figured out how it wold go around the corners of the quilt.
    The Martelli system will miter the corners.

Jim
    I have an industrial singer that is
    only for bindings and it has the attachment ...doing the corners has to be rounded off or stopped and restarted ...only way possible...I dont like that so I nowadays do my bindings on regular machines
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

Blog Entries
    I saw one a few years ago on a Bernina, it was really cool but as someone else said, I have no idea how it would go around the corners.

I have a binding foot for my Brother, but I haven't mastered using it, and you have to pre iron your strips.

Blog Entries
    if one makes LOTS of quilts, $150 doesn't sound like much. I don't make that many, though. And I actually like the binding process
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    I have one for my Bernina. It works great, but does take some practice on the corners. I don't have it down pat yet but don't mind doing a little hand finishing on the corners when the rest goes so quickly. I have seen someone do the corners perfectly. I think it just takes quite a bit of practice.

Blog Entries
    It sounds like the bias maker that used to be really popular for machines. I recently saw one on Sewing w Nancy; first time I had seen one in years. It does just what you said and I guess if it was large enough it would do the binding. Now my mind is spinning.
    Judy

The Martelli system is really great if you do a lot of quilts or if you have arthritis in your hands and don't do hand bindings or something like that. It doesn't do front and back at the same time - you still have to sew the raw edge of your binding to the front of your quilt.

You can get just the Stitch n Ditch foot and spend a lot less than buying the whole system. This foot really does stitch in the ditch - but only along an edge, not out in the middle of the quilt. (adjustable)

It does mitered corners - you have to stop and start again, but there is a set of three sizes of Minute Minders that you can buy to make the precise miters for you.

The Zip Bind tool sets the size of the fold and the Zip Guns clip onto your measured binding to hold it in place, but these aren't strictly necessary to help you make good bindings.

Their online store is kind of confusing, but here are the binding tools: http://www.martellicatalog.com/mm5/m...tegory_Code=ZB

And here are their You Tube videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...l2.2.1.7-1l6l0

I have one for my Janome Horizon, but I've not tried it yet. I got the dealer to throw it and the blue to bobbin case into the deal when I bought my machine. Here's a video of its use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShT0VQ3BIUM

Watching the video made me want to try it, but I don't have a quilt ready for binding yet! Apparently you can use straight or decorative stitches, and there are 2 additional "strip feeders" that you can buy for 7/16 and 5/16 wide binding.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
    The Martelli system is really great if you do a lot of quilts or if you have arthritis in your hands and don't do hand bindings or something like that. It doesn't do front and back at the same time - you still have to sew the raw edge of your binding to the front of your quilt.

You can get just the Stitch n Ditch foot and spend a lot less than buying the whole system. This foot really does stitch in the ditch - but only along an edge, not out in the middle of the quilt. (adjustable)

It does mitered corners - you have to stop and start again, but there is a set of three sizes of Minute Minders that you can buy to make the precise miters for you.

The Zip Bind tool sets the size of the fold and the Zip Guns clip onto your measured binding to hold it in place, but these aren't strictly necessary to help you make good bindings.

Their online store is kind of confusing, but here are the binding tools: http://www.martellicatalog.com/mm5/m...tegory_Code=ZB

And here are their You Tube videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...l2.2.1.7-1l6l0
    I had the zip bind system years ago and it was a total waste of my time and money!!!
    Sadiemae

Blog Entries
    I have tried a couple over the years, including the pricey Martelli one. The ones for domestic machines (that are made for quilt bindings) are very difficult to master and fussy. I would not recommend investing in one. Ones made for commercial machines are undoubtedly better. There are some binding attachments for domestic machines that work pretty well for sewing tasks, such as putting bias binding around the armholes of a child's dress, but those cannot take the bulk of a quilt.

It's one of those fantasies we all have that usually don't work out well in reality. At least, yet. Maybe someday someone will invent one that actually works for home quilters.......

Bernina makes one that looks fantastic- but it is almost $300 - for one size of binding (they make multiple sizes).

I actually like the look of rounded corners, so I wouldn't mind just rounding them to use the binder.

Unfortunately, it will be years before I can justify the price...

Blog Entries
    I purchased the binding attachment for my Designer 1 and it was a complete waste of money. Not one of the salespersons could demo it. I finally made an appointment with the owner of the shop for the demo. She said she had never been able to use it with anything other than commercial bias tape and had to curve her corners because it is a hassle to get a decent mitered corner. One has to be ever vigilant to keep the bias feeding "just so" into the funnel so that it will sew evenly on both sides. In the time it takes to master all of this one could easily do a binding without this expensive attachment.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    i have the zip bind- its nothing like what I saw... And the attachment I did see was exactly like the Janome binding attachment.. I need THIS for a pfaff..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
    i have the zip bind- its nothing like what I saw... And the attachment I did see was exactly like the Janome binding attachment.. I need THIS for a pfaff..

Call a Pfaff dealer and ask them.
    Sadiemae

A few threads down someone had a link to a manual for a 301. The binding attachment is shown in the manual, if you would like to look at the process. I had one on my older machines, and used them for regular sewing, but not for binding on a quilt. Worked for regular sewing.

I have the Janome binder attachment and love it. It was pricey, over $100, but has been totally worth it since I can't do handwork for any extended length of time. The corners took some practice but are working out fine. Finishing the end has also been a learning curve but I'm getting there. I've bound at least 11 quilts with it since September. I definitely can't bind a quilt in five minutes but I can get it done in about 30 to 45 minutes, sometimes less depending on the size of the quilt.

Blog Entries
    I agree with "QuiltnNan" I enjoy the binding process. Maybe we need to make a deal with some of you who don't. Could work out for all of us.
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

Blog Entries
    When I Googled "Janome binder attachment quilts", the binder attachment in the Youtube video came up right away. When I Googled the same thing but replaced Janome with Pfaff, nothing even remotely similar came up.

My bet is that this is a new attachment for Janome and the other brands have not caught up with it yet. It is different from the usual binding attachment for sewing, in that the quilting attachment feeds the binding strip in from the right. That ribbon-like feed on the right side of the attachment is really different from regular binding attachments.

Blog Entries
    I started rounding my corners to bind my quilts so I can use these swing-away binders, and love it! I surge the edges, then bind fast.>>
    Corners are better rounded; Think out side the “box”. I can send pictures if you like. You must use an [older] machine with the two holes on the bed of the machine.>>
    http://search.sailrite.com/?freeText...oller%20Shades>>
    > >
    > whatch their videos>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast