Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding Alternatives >

Binding Alternatives

Binding Alternatives

Old 12-22-2009, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I do similar to amma's plan, except, I sew mine down on the back first. Then I turn it to the front and use a decorative stitch to tack the binding down. THis seems to give me a little more control of where the stitches land on the front. With decorative stitches, it just adds another dimension on the back. But my quilts are utilitarian in nature. Nothing fancy.

I just finished a table runner and wall hanging using the above method but used straight stitch instead of deco stitch. Was really slick and neat looking!
I would love to see a photo of this to get a better idea.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
Depending about your financial situation, you could also pay someone to do the binding by hand. You do all the attaching, they just do the final hand part (I'll do it!)
I've offered to do this for a few of my friends. I love putting on binding & tend to be very quick when putting it on, or maybe it just seems that way since I'm usually watching (listening) to the tv at the same time. In fact, I've tried to get someone to switch with me. I'll do their binding if they'll sandwich my quilt. Sadly, no one has taken me up on the offer. I guess I'm not the only one who hates to sandwich quilts. :P
Old 12-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tiffany
Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
Depending about your financial situation, you could also pay someone to do the binding by hand. You do all the attaching, they just do the final hand part (I'll do it!)
I've offered to do this for a few of my friends. I love putting on binding & tend to be very quick when putting it on, or maybe it just seems that way since I'm usually watching (listening) to the tv at the same time. In fact, I've tried to get someone to switch with me. I'll do their binding if they'll sandwich my quilt. Sadly, no one has taken me up on the offer. I guess I'm not the only one who hates to sandwich quilts. :P
I wish we lived closer :D:D:D I would happily trade with you :D:D:D
Old 12-22-2009, 06:59 PM

I also use the method of putting the binding on the back of the quilt first and then turning it to the front. If you dont want it to show, use the "invisible" thread .. I use zigzag OR the blind hem stitch most of the time to sew it down on front.This works with mitered corners too.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
You can also finish with no binding at all in one of three methods that I know of: the envelope method (before quilting), the turned edge method (after quilting), or the escape hatch method (before quilting and usually used for small pieces). All can be done entirely by machine.
Can anyone give me an explanation of these methods. I tried to look them up but can't find anything good that explains it.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by laadw
Originally Posted by ghostrider
You can also finish with no binding at all in one of three methods that I know of: the envelope method (before quilting), the turned edge method (after quilting), or the escape hatch method (before quilting and usually used for small pieces). All can be done entirely by machine.
Can anyone give me an explanation of these methods. I tried to look them up but can't find anything good that explains it.
I have no idea what the escape hatch method is. I get a mental image of someone leaving their quilt at a friends (for her to finish up) and sneaking out the back door. :lol:

The envelope method is where you sew the pieces together, right sides together, leaving a 1-2 foot section undone. Then you turn them inside out, just like you would for a pillowcase, and once done sew the open section either by hand or with a running stitch or decorative stitch.

I'm not sure about the turned edge, but I'm assuming it means you whip stitch the front and back together, much like you would with English Paper Piecing.

Hope that helps. I'm sure someone will post and correct me. ;)
Old 12-24-2009, 11:53 AM

I do my binding on the machine the way my mother taught me - sew it on the front, flip it to the back side and pin it just a hair beyond the binding bobbin stitches and then flip it to the front and stitch in the ditch. I really should use a decorative stitch though - I love that idea and it would definitely be great as a just in case your fabric shifts a hair when you are sewing... I had not thought of a decorative stitch but will the next time I'm binding anything!!
Old 12-24-2009, 12:17 PM

escape hatch finishing method. http://fibermania.blogspot.com/2005/...ch-finish.html
envelope, or pillowcase finishing method. http://quilting.suite101.com/article...llowcase_style
Old 12-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

I know of two methods for turned edge binding. One way: you make the backing larger than the top all the way around. After you quilt the quilt, you need to CAREFULLY SQUARE THE TOP AND BATTING ONLY. Trim the backing to a consistent size and turn the back under and to the front. Stitch it down. This is a single thickness binding and supposedly will wear out faster than standard double thickness.

The other method is where you square and trim the batting after the top is quilted. Trim the top and the backing to the same width and larger than the batting, wide enough so you can fold each of them under and slip-stitch them together. There is a better chance of this type of seam to come open.

Should the seams get ratty, you can always add a standard binding after the fact.