Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Binding clips vs. hair clips

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by binkister View Post
    what is the ladder stitch ?
    I love the ladder stitch. This is the absolute BEST stitch to use if you're hand-piecing hexies. A whipstitch will show, a ladder stitch will not.

Name:  LADDER-STITCH-1.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  13.1 KB

Blog Entries
    I agree with all who prefer the wonder clips. I will never use glue again!

Okay, not to sound like a dunce, but what kind of hair clips are you guys talking about? Are they flat and silver and look like barrettes? Or are they the bigger plastic kind? I'm always looking for a bargain notion...LOL.

I used the hair clips for a long time and didn't want to spend the money on the Wonder clips. Now I put myself on a fabric moratorium and have purchased the notions I have always dreamed of having....YEP, the Wonder clips and I won't go back to the bulky hair clips. Like someone else mentioned, you can sew right up to the clips as they lay nice and flat. They are worth the money spent. I don't have as good of luck clipping and sewing the binding on in short segments at a time; I like to clip the entire quilt first. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
    Has anyone used the Dritz binding clips? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER Are they stouter than regular hair clips that are about the same size and cheaper?
    I use the hair clips professionals use..they are strong and I get them from Sally's beauty supply shop...get a box of 80 for around $5.00. They also have different sizes. The wonder clips are too expensive for my retirement budget!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
    Okay, not to sound like a dunce, but what kind of hair clips are you guys talking about? Are they flat and silver and look like barrettes? Or are they the bigger plastic kind? I'm always looking for a bargain notion...LOL.
    I think there are 3 basic types that are being discussed here.

Hair clips: These are what I use, they're easy to use and cheap.

Name:  Goody-Hair-Clips.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  43.7 KB

Binder clips: I know some people use them, however be careful because they can rust.
    Name:  binder clips.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  5.7 KB

Wonder clips:

Name:  binding clips.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  5.2 KB

Hope this helps.

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I use the hair clips from the dollar store.
    Quilting is an addiction that you can be proud of and enjoy.
    Elna TSP,Kenmore,Singer Futura,Singer Red Eye x2,Singer 66,White Rotary Treadles x2, Montgomery Wards, Janome 10000,Singer 201-2 1947,Juki serger, Black 1947 Featherweight. Singer 301a 1951, Parlor Cabinet Treadle w/ White.
    Deb

Blog Entries
    I just bought some wonder clips Sunday. I have been using my girls hair clips that look like the Dritz clips. They work OK. They slide off some. I like them better than pins.

Love the Wonder clips.....

I much prefer the wonder clips to the clips. I got tired of popping them open. The wonder clips are very easy to use. Shoppers rule and jhittlesewing also carry them at fairly inexpensive prices. There are now larger wonder clips as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
    Has anyone used the Dritz binding clips? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER Are they stouter than regular hair clips that are about the same size and cheaper?
    I,too used to use these but now I use the Wonder Clips and won't go back to the binding clips.
    Jan

I must be the only one who uses paper clips. I buy a container of 500 for <$5, the plastic coated ones. No pricking, they bend easily. After awhile, they can get bent badly, but they can reshape, or I throw them away.
    Carol in Michigan

Oh my latest discovery is from the dollar store. They had large plastic spring clamp style cloths pins! They worked great!
    From the heart
    Nancy

I use hair clips and like them, have not had any problems.

I bought small chip clips from the dollar store. Package of 8 for 1.00. Works great for me. They're plastic so no worries of rusting and they're light weight.

I use the binder clips from staples. the mini's are just right, they hold very tight and are easy on and easy off.

Blog Entries
    I posted a thread today under the resources page about the Wonder Clips. Amazon has a box of 50 for $11.49d+ tax. I ordered today & it cost me a total of $12.52. What a deal from the 1st. box I bought. You might want to take a look before they change the price. BTW-- I love the wonder clips, too.
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

Thanks Peckish, those first hair clips are the ones I was thinking of, but I looked at the Sally's website and they also have other kinds. I understand now!

I use Wonder Clips when sewing the binding to the front and again when I hand sew to the back. I am thinking about trying the jumbo ones on the front when I want to leave a little excess batting for fullness in my binding.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3