Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Binding clips vs. hair clips

I use regular hair clips I would rather use the extra money it would cost to buy wonderfully and buy fabric or a ruler

I use the small and mini binder clamps. From WalMart got 70 for 3.00 they work great

I love the wonder clips. However, I also have the girls hair clips.

I like color so love the hair clips. lol
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

I like the wonder clips, have also use the hair clips, but prefer the wonder clips over the hair clips. For those that don't even pin or clip, that's great, but for those that do pin or clip use whats easiest for you.

I switched to Wonder clips from hair clips when they first came out. Love them! When I need to hem a garment by hand, those hair clips are great for holding the hem in place. So I use them both, lol. I may get a package of the jumbo wonderclips...with a 50% coupon, of course!

I'm too frugal to buy something on Amazon that I can get at the dollar store...the hair clips work great. Leaves $$ for other things, like fabric!

Absolutely prefer the Wonder clips over hair clips.

Wonder Clips for me....love them..I clip a whole and just sew ....sew....sew
    will never use anything else!
    Pam H.

"Those that mind, don't matter and those that matter don't mind" ~ Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
    Has anyone used the Dritz binding clips? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER Are they stouter than regular hair clips that are about the same size and cheaper?
    I love these!! From small to large projects. No more getting stuck by my pins anymore!
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

I've used the hair clips but don't like how you have to bend and snap them on and off. With the wonder clips, they just open and close. Plus they have a flat edge to when you're on the sewing machine, it tends to lay generally flat as they come up to the needle. But to each his own!

I use the hair clips, and I don't have many, because I only use a few at a time, then move them down.

Blog Entries
    I LOVE the wonder clips!!! My first time using them my binding came out perfect on both side of the quilt. You can tell where your seam will be before you even sew it.

Wonder clips are wonderful!!!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

I use the hairclips and really like them. I have the binding clips but don't think they hold as well as the hair clips.

Power Poster
    I bought wonder clips from Amazon for $16.79 for a hundred of them and I think it is well worth the price.

I have been using hairclips for years. They do an excellent job to hold the 4 sides of your quilt together, while
    placing the top, batting, and background fabric together -- before you begin with basting. Followed by handquilting.
    Hairclips come in various sizes which you can choose from.

I used to pin my quilt while binding. But, I got tired of getting pricked by the pins and I have animals so I have to be concerned with missing pins. I use both the binding clips and bolt buddies. The binding clips are a lot cheaper than the hair clips. In my opinion they both work great.

Blog Entries
    Just because you buy something from a "quilt" place, it is not necessarily better (usually just more expensive.) I buy hair clips @Dollar General and they work just fine. I can not tell any difference except, of course, the price! IMHO

I just started using the larger quilting clips and love them for holding binding in place to hand stitch

Power Poster
    Use the hair clips and really like them.

what is the ladder stitch ?
    Children leave footprints on your heart that last a liftime.

Blog Entries
    I love the wonder clips. They hold very securely, and they also have 1/4" markings on them. They have them on Amazon fairly cheaply. I think they are well worth the money, I have even used them for other things in an emergency like closing a potato chip bag

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I use hair clips. I have no need for those expensive clips, and I only use 3 or 4 at a time. Just make sure you don't leave them in the quilt for extended periods of time. I have a friend who left her clips on a binding for a couple of years and they rusted on her quilt.
    I hope she knew how to get the rust out with Whink rust remover. Works great.

Also, the wonder clips have lines imbedded in them so that you can see how far away the seam allowance is extending. These lines are helpful. But now I don't use them as much since I found out about Elmer's School Glue.
    Last edited by maviskw; 03-05-2013 at 08:34 AM.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Depends on the hair clips - I use both and I don't notice a difference, but some little girls hair clips that my daughter uses in her hair are very flimsy. Just pay attention when you're buying them. But when I bought binding clips there wasn't a huge difference between the price of the "real" quilt binding clips and hair clips, so pay attention to that, too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast