Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding Discussion >

Binding Discussion

Binding Discussion

Old 11-20-2013, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by cedarvalleyquilts View Post
I think the requirement of hand binding is the fact that, if done correctly, the stitching is invisible on the back side of the binding, i.e., the stitching is executed well enough that you don't see it when looking at the back side of the quilt. I agree that machine quilting the binding is more and more acceptable and can be done very nicely, but the point at least with show quilts is to not see any binding stitches.

Christine
Cedar Valley Quilts
www.cedarvalleyquilts.com
I'm not sure I'm understanding, but is it meant that the machine stitching from applying the binding to the quilt is visible on the back and the rolled-over binding should cover the machine stitch when it is hand stitched? I just cut the binding one fourth inch wider which gives it more room to roll over and cover that machine stitch.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:47 PM

Sorry I never machine a binding on. I just don't like the look of the stitches on the back. This is my personal preference and I admire anyone who can keep those stitches in the ditch.
Surely we should have rules studied in shows to keep them fair. I entered a show and found any piece in the categories I had selected needed to be 1 metre in at least one direction. Wall hangings are frequently smaller and I had to extend.
Being at one show a lady asked if I had seen any quilts which had been hand quilted not these all the same patterns. To her they were wrong if it hand quilted.
Binding , I will practice but not sure it will catch on with me as I love to curl up on a cold night and hand stitch.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:20 AM

I too hate handwork of any type, BUT I do hand bind some of my quilts as I prefer the look. I would consider my machine binding to be passable and on the likes of wall hangings etc to be fairly good, but that's probably because I concentrate on the front and don't worry too much about the back, lol!
Old 11-21-2013, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

I do not do machine binding I tried it once and it looked just awful.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:17 AM
DJ

At the Puyallup, WA Quilting, Sewing and Craft Expo that I went to last week, a woman was demonstrating a presser foot that would machine sew the binding (with monofilament thread and a tiny zig-zag stitch) and claimed one of her quilts was submitted as a great example of hand-stitched binding. It was very hard to tell as it used the monofilament (invisible) thread, but it looked very nice. I happen to enjoy the hand stitching, so wouldn't spend the money. Unfortunately, I didn't get the name of the foot to tell you.

I'd go ahead and enter your quilts with machine binding and see what reaction you get. I think the more of them that are entered that way, the more acceptance will be generated.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:41 AM

Well, I am one of those in the minority who does like to do handwork. However, I do my binding both by machine and hand, depending on the quilt. Charity quilts, especially if they are for children and lap quilts, especially if they are going to a home where I know animals will be snuggling in the quilts, too, are bound by machine, because I figure these will be used more and will be washed more. Most wall hangings, table runners, potholders, etc. are bound by machine. Bed quilts that are made for a special occasion are bound by hand. If I was to enter a quilt in a show, I would certainly bind by hand, because my stitches truly cannot be seen. I use both the applique stitch and the ladder stitch, depending on the mood I'm in.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:45 PM

I'm one of those folks who would do hand work if I could. Since I can't because of my hands I sew all my bindings on my machine. I love using the decorative stitches on my machine to do the final binding stitching. I like it and it means I am able to finish off my quilts.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

I have done both and my binding is always wider than usual. I've added an extra 1/2 inch to the binding depending on the design of the quilt.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I have done both and my binding is always wider than usual. I've added an extra 1/2 inch to the binding depending on the design of the quilt.
Same here. I like a wider binding and I do most of mine by machine.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by mighty View Post
I do not do machine binding I tried it once and it looked just awful.
I started quilting a year ago and have made several quilts. I have no experience with hand stitching and have no desire to do so. When I make my quilts, I do everything from start to finish - all by machine. I have done bindings several different ways with mixed results, but with practice, I'm getting better at binding and my last few look good.
So - if you only tried it once, you need to practice, so it won't look "awful".