Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding Discussion >

Binding Discussion

Binding Discussion

Old 11-21-2013, 04:05 PM

Anyone have any pictures to share of machine stitched binding (good or bad)? I have only done binding by hand...in front of the tv...with a cup of hot coffee...very cozy!
Old 11-21-2013, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
If you hate doing it, why not hire someone to do it for you, especially if you want to enter the quilt in a show? I have had several quilters hire me to sew binding on their quilts. I enjoy it.
Peckish, I do hire someone to do my quilts that I will show. Also hire her to stitch the labels on as well. cause i wont. I was just wondering about feelings on the situation and get a discussion going on bindings and shows. was more a thought provoking discussion not a whine about a situation.

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
Let me correct a misunderstanding. Machine binding is accepted in show quilts. It is judged with the same standards as hand binding.
Holice, some shows actually do not accept machine binding, but those that do not accept them are very specific in the rules that they are not allowed. All the shows that I have investigated locally have all stated that binding needs to be hand done. Perhaps though I missed something.

Originally Posted by grammyzabelx5 View Post
Anyone have any pictures to share of machine stitched binding (good or bad)? I have only done binding by hand...in front of the tv...with a cup of hot coffee...very cozy!
Here is a photo of a table topper I did, the binding is sewn to the back, then folded over to the top and machine sewn down to the top. I generally pick a bobbin thread that blends so you can not see it in case I "miss" the ditch in the back.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]448043[/ATTACH]

and here is another one that I did with piping

[ATTACH=CONFIG]448044[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0799_zpsafe857af.jpg   img_04901_zpsd4b15320.jpg  
Old 11-21-2013, 04:45 PM

When i found out that you have to hand stitch the binding to the back, I had a fit. Why ????We pay alot of money for our machines and I am going to sit and hand stitch the binding. Not Me. I am getting good at putting my binding on also and I will continue this way. I only did one by hand. It is much more sturdy machine stictched and I like it.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Banned

A comment about machine binding.
If the front looks good, what does the back look good. Is the stitching straight and even on the back side but does it zig zag all over the edge of the binding. They may look good on the front but not good on the back.
Equal quality is what judges look for (for those who enter your quilts.) I sat in a Ebony Love class recently on machine binding. Her binding was perfect on both front and back. So it can be done. This is probaby why some use glue and other methods (fusiable thread) to assure the binding is the same on the back as front.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
Peckish, was more a thought provoking discussion not a whine about a situation.
Oh I hope you don't think that I thought you were whining! I was just making a suggestion.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:55 AM

I hand hem all my bindings, but with my tendonitis, it gets harder and harder and takes me longer and longer. I have tried one or two on the machine and have not liked how they look. Does anyone know if there are any tutorials out there that show how to do it so they actually look good?
Old 11-22-2013, 04:23 AM

I once entered a quilt finished off with faux piped quilt binding (done by machine) and it earned a second place ribbon in its category. There is nothing wrong with machine binding IMHO.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:37 AM

So I understand this a little better, first you sew binding on the BACK, then fold to the front along the sewn line? Any other stitches used besides straight stitch or zigzag? I'm wondering about buttonhole stitch.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:08 AM
Banned

I should have qualified my comment about machine bindings in show quilts. It was meant as a general statement that machine bindings are being entered. However a quilter should always abide by the rules of any show where they enter a quilt.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:17 AM

I do a machine binding for quilts I think will get a lot of washing. I prefer the look of hand quilting for some styles, but I don't think it is as durable. I have a DIL that can't sew a button on anything, so the ones I send her are always done by machine. I cut around the batting and backing leaving 3/4" of edge. Then I sew the 2 1/2" double fold binding on the back, bring it to the front and sew a decorative stitch. I have never been able to make the other way look presentable.