Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BINDING, Do you turn from the back to the front or front to back?

Blog Entries
    Iv always gone from front to back, might have to try it the other way to see if I like it, learning something new every day which is great

I do it like supergma-sew by machine on the front and hand stitch on the back.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by supergma
    If I want to hand stitch the binding down, I sew to the front, turn to the back. If I am going to machine stitch it down, I do just the opposite.
    Me too, that's the way I do it.

Blog Entries
    I machine stitch to the front and turn it to the back and hand stitch.

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    Would anybody mind sharing up close pictures of a binding that was machine stitched with a decorative stitch? I would love to see!!

Thanks.
    me too. I never thought of a decorative stitch. Next time!

Blog Entries
    I do decorative stitches on baby quilts or quilts for children. As long as you don't use a satin stitch type stitch you won't have any problems. When I got my new Janome I did a sampler of stitches I'd like to use for quilts. It does take a little longer, but if you are not perfertly straight it's hard to see the mistakes. I like to use verigated thread too.

Blog Entries
    I machine stitch it to the front then hand stitch it to the back. I was taught this way in the 80s and never thought to change it. guess I am a creature of habit. :)

I machine stitch to the front and turn to the back and hand stitch. Comes out looking very nice.

If I want to hand stitch the binding down, I sew to the front, turn to the back. If I am going to machine stitch it down, I do just the opposite.
    Ditto

I machine stitch to the front and wrap around to the back with a blind stitch.
    This is what I do, too.

It depends on the quilt. If it is something that I think I might want to put into a show I machine stitch on the front, turn to the back, and hand stitch.

If it's a simple little quilt or one to be USED like a baby quilt, then I machine stitch to the back, turn to the front, and machine stitch the front OR I machine stitch to the front, turn to the back, and stitch-in-the-ditch from the front.

Banned
    Liberty Hill - Central TEXAS Hill Country
    Quote Originally Posted by irma tapia
    I have done it both ways, just curious how everyone does it and which way looks better. :lol:
    I machine stitch to the front then hand 'hem' to the back.

:-)

Usually machine stitch to the top of the quilt then hand finish on the back. UNLESS its a utility quilt that will get lots of wear and washing, then I sew to the back side, bring it to the front and do a fancy stitch over the binding by machine.

I've also done it both ways. Which ever way it looks the best, I usually hand stitch mine with a blind stitch.If you are doing a decorative stitch I would say to the front.

I do it both ways but prefer to do it front rolled to back. I just like the finished look when hand stitched to the back.

Senior Member stitchntimesewing's Avatar
    I attach to the front and hand stitch to the back.

Blog Entries
    my own personal favorite is sew onto front, hand stitch on the back, I feel anything I am putting my love and time into for some one else it requires hand stitched binding.for utilility things I may stitch both sides by machine, but not for givine away.

jacie

Hmmm, I never thought of doing it the other way 'round. Thanks for the hint, supergma! I have machining mine recently, it just goes faster...

Blog Entries
    Most of my quilts I have turned up the back, mom taught me. However, I did do binding on one and the end results not so good. The quilt I am working on now, I am going to do binding if it kills me. I did purchase the attachment for my machine to put binding on, but not sure how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    When I hand-stitch one side, I go front to back.
    When I machine-stitch the whole thing, I go back to front.
    Same here :thumbup:

Me too. Machine stitching to the back just doesn't come out good for me.
    I have recently found a tutorial on faux piped binding. I've done this on a few quilts, and it really works welll.

http://tlcstitches.blogspot.com/2010...-tutorial.html

Quote Originally Posted by chuckbere15
    Most of my quilts I have turned up the back, mom taught me. However, I did do binding on one and the end results not so good. The quilt I am working on now, I am going to do binding if it kills me. I did purchase the attachment for my machine to put binding on, but not sure how that works.
    I think the binding feet are THE HARDEST to use EVER! Its easier to stitch slowly and accurately, you can even miter the corners. :-D

Blog Entries
    Because of degenerating wrist joints, hand sewing is a very painful process for me. 90% of my quilts are for children's charities so I cut the batting even with the quilt top, cut the backing 1 1/2 inches wider than top and batting, double fold it to the front and machine stitch down using the walking foot and usually decorative stitches. The Quick Easy Mitred Binding tool is worth it's weight in gold for this method. The instructions are very clear and I especially like the nice flat mitred corners.

I machine stitch to the front and wrap around to the back with a blind stitch.
    Me, too. Sometime when I get brave enough, I would like to stitch it down back to front. Good luck whichever one you decide to do.

^ Me too!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast