Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding by machine >

Binding by machine

Binding by machine

Old 04-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Banned

Thank you so much for that site. Penny
Old 04-05-2010, 05:17 PM

If there is any HOPE of getting a quilt finished, I have to bind it by machine. I found this neat tool at a shop in Delaware when traveling. It makes very sharp looking corners.

"Quick Easy Mitred-Binding Tool" by Sew Biz. The website is www.sewbizmarion.com - it is larger and easier to use than the binding tool our local quilt shop was selling. (The instructions were easier to understand also.)
Old 04-05-2010, 05:25 PM

Recently I did a Downey Child's Quilt. The instructions said to hem it on the sewing machine because it would get hard use.
On another king size quilt, I prepared a bias double fold binding, stitched it to the top, folded it to the underside, making sure I cover the stitching by about 1/8-1/4 inch. Pinned closely and carefully but starting the pin from the back on the seamline. Using this as a reference point, I then stitched in the ditch from the front. I liked it! Silvia
Old 04-05-2010, 05:58 PM

Has anyone heard of the "Magic Strip Binding" method? Very easy and twice around the quilt and you're done ( doesn't use decorative stitching although it COULD ).
Old 04-05-2010, 06:09 PM

Our quilting group that makes charity baby quilts suggests machine stitching for the bindings as it will probably hold up better with frequent laundering.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:10 PM

What is the "Magic Strip Binding" method? Links would be wonderful. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2010, 07:15 PM

I'm a machine binder too. Like Sharon Schaumburg's method - it helped me gain a lot of confidence; don't use the glue so much anymore. But I'm going to try it again to see if my SID will catch all of the binding in back. I also like decorative stitches, especially if I have done a decorative sticth on the quilting.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:29 PM

OK, my two cents here as well. I hate handwork so do everything by machine. I was taught early how to cut the strip, fold in half, stitch on the front and turn to the back then sew by hand. Instead, I cut my strip one quarter inch larger than normal and that extra results in an eighth inch more of the binding strip on the back to make sure I catch it when I stitch it in the ditch from the front. (make sense?) The nite I mentioned this method at a class, no one had heard of doing it that way but I walked around the store and found two or three samples that were done the same way. As one of the posters stated, good pinning is the way to ensure that you catch the binding strip while stitching on the front.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:01 PM

i have never done handstitching on the binding (i refuse to do so ) i carefully line up the binding on both sides just where i want it to be when i am done (a couple times i have used elmers glue to keep in place) then i sewon the front side of the quilt making sure i catch both sides of the binding and i am done , i have entered 4 or 5 of these in quilt shows and have gotten compliments on my binding (maybe it is just a given talent i have and didnt realize it before) hahaha
Old 04-05-2010, 10:29 PM

i agree with Amma. The decorative stitch on the front looks great and is pretty darned fast.