Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding method:Has anyone tried using the backing fabric as the binding? >

Binding method:Has anyone tried using the backing fabric as the binding?

Binding method:Has anyone tried using the backing fabric as the binding?

Old 02-24-2014, 06:37 AM

I've only done it for a few charity quilts I quilted. Well, actually, I did the quilting and someone else did that style of binding per her own request. The groups I work with divide up the work. I sew the tops for some and do the quilting for others. I give the quilted quilts to others to bind and label.

I still prefer the more conventional way of binding.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

I've done it maybe twice. I just have trouble with the corners, but I get there.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:31 AM

I use this type of binding on all my kid's charity quilts. My problem recently is the fabrics are no longer 44 in. wide so many times I have to add a strip of fabric to the backing fabric but not directly down the middle.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:15 PM

I have only done this on one baby quilt and it turned out fine, but I usually always make my own bindings separatelly.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:05 PM

I often use the same fabric for the back and binding but I cut the binding strips separately and bind in the usual machine sew on front, hand stitch on back method.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:15 PM

I've done bindings both ways. For wall hangings and miniature quilts, I use the backing-->binding method. With bed size or lap quilts, I use a bias binding. To be honest, I have great difficulty mitering corners, so I like the backing-->binding much better as it is easier for me. (A New Year's resolution for me: learn how to make mitered corners properly!) Either way is acceptable. Remember, there are no quilt police! One caution, however, if you are making charity quilts, make sure they allow non-bias bindings - some groups don't.

Anita
Old 02-24-2014, 07:11 PM

Sure, I do that a lot. I actually prefer that method, but don't use it on large quilts. Wall hangings and baby quilts, yes. Works fine.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:09 AM

I've not tried this method. I have recently been doing the sewing of binding on the back and turning over and sewing it down on the front. Do this for those things that need to be done fast. I still do the sewing binding on the front and hand sewing down on the back for other projects.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:36 AM

I almost always use this method. I have a special ruler to mark the corners so when it's folded over it looks nice. It's a tool specifically for binding, but unfortunately I don't know the name of it and I can't find it because my sewing room is torn up and in the midst of remodeling! When I do separate binding, no matter what I do, I can't seem to get the corners mitered correctly.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:41 AM

I wouldn't use this method on anything I was going to enter in a show!